Blues   Brumbies   Bulls   Cheetahs   Chiefs    Crusaders   Force    Highlanders   Hurricanes   Lions    Rebels   Reds   Sharks   Stormers  Waratahs - S.Kings
---- --- -- - ----

Cooper shines again as Australia beat Scotland

Quade Cooper of Australia is tackled by Sean Maitland and Duncan Weir (

Print Article | Click here for a free $150 Bet |

Article Published: Saturday 23 November 2013|

Australia picked up a morale boosting 15-21 victory over Scotland at Murrayfield after a nightmare week for the Wallabies.

Despite having almost an entire first team unavailable due to suspensions and injuries, the Wallabies scored two tries, while for the second game in a row Scotland failed to cross their opponents' line.

Fly-half Quade Cooper was behind both Australia tries by full-back Israel Folau and winger Chris Feauai-Sautia with centre Christian Leali'ifano adding a conversion and three penalties.

All of Scotland's points came from the boot of fly-half Greig Laidlaw who kicked five penalties.

The win was the third in a row for the Wallabies, the previous two being over Italy and Ireland, after a narrow loss to England at Twickenham at the start of the tour.

They will conclude the November series of Test matches with a game against European champions Wales in Cardiff next Saturday.

Australia coach Ewen McKenzie told BBC television: "We were struggling to get one win in a row, we got two in a row last week and now another one. It's a different challenge next week against Wales."

The loss for Scotland, coming a week after they were outclassed 28-0 to South Africa, means they end the November Test match series with just a solitary win over Japan.

"I can't quibble with the effort, We let ourselves down with the execution, " Scotland interim coach Scott Johnson said.

He added: "The young kids we have can only get better. I'm really pleased with the effort - I'm sick of being good losers."

Johnson responded to the drubbing his side took at the hands of the South Africa by omitting first-choice fly-half Ruaridh Jackson and star lock Richie Gray, both of whom struggled against the Springboks.

Duncan Weir joined Laidlaw at half-back with Kelly Brown returning to the back row and reclaiming the captaincy from Laidlaw.

McKenzie was forced to send out a new-look backs division following the late night drinking session in Dublin ahead of the Ireland game that implicated half the squad and saw six players suspended for one match.

In front of a packed Murrayfield crowd, Australia were on the offensive from the kick-off and Leali'ifano slotted over a penalty following an infringment by lock Jim Hamilton.

Two penalties in the space of four minutes from Laidlaw gave the Scots the lead, but Leali'ifano levelled again for Australia after 22 minutes when David Denton went round the side of a ruck as the Wallabies drove for a try in the corner.

Three minutes later the tourists went ahead with the first try of the match.

Explosive full-back Folau burst through a stunned Scottish defensive line on a smart switch back pass from Cooper. It was his ninth try in 14 matches for his country.

Two more penalties from Laidlaw made it 12-13 for Australia five minutes from half-time and the Scots came within inches of going over when Johnnie Beattie picked up a loose ball on the halfway line to send Sean Maitland racing clear.

The New Zealand born full-back was brought down just short of the line, and the Australian defence held firm until the half-time whistle.

That home momentum was soon lost as the second-half got underway, the Wallabies scoring a second try.

Cooper was instrumental once again twice appearing in a sweeping attack by the backs that saw winger Feauai-Sautia tackled just short of the line before he was able to stretch over for the touchdown.

The reliable boot of Laidlaw once again kept the Scots in the match at 15-18 with Australia lock Rob Simmons sin-binned for going offside.

The Scots were unable to capitalise on being a man up despite applying some pressure and it was Leali'ifano who edged the Wallabies 15-21 ahead.

Scotland needed a converted try at the death to snatch their third straight win over Australia but despite some probing attacks they never came close.

Final Score Scotland 15 (12) Australia 21 (13)


Pen: Laidlaw 5

Tries: Folau, Feauai-Sautia
Con: Leali'ifano
Pens: Leali'ifano 3
Yellow card: Simmons

Match Officials
Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Pascal Gauzere (France), Francisco Pastrana (Argentina)
Television match official: Geoff Warren (England)


Scotland: 15 Sean Maitland, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Nick De Luca, 12 Duncan Taylor, 11 Sean Lamont, 10 Duncan Weir, 9 Greig Laidlaw, 8 Dave Denton, 7 Kelly Brown (c), 6 John Beattie, 5 Jim Hamilton, 4 Grant Gilchrist, 3 Moray Low, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Ryan Grant

Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Al Dickinson, 18 Euan Murray, 19 Jonny Gray, 20 Kieran Low, 21 Chris Cusiter, 22 Ruaridh Jackson, 23 Max Evans

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Joe Tomane, 13 Christian Leali'ifano, 12 Mike Harris, 11 Chris Feauai-Sautia, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8 Ben Mowen (c), 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 James Horwill, 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 James Slipper

Replacements: 16 Saia Fainga'a, 17 Ben Alexander, 18 Paddy Ryan, 19 Sitaleki Timani, 20 Ben McCalman, 21 Nic White, 22 Nick Phipps, 23 Bernard Foley

Super XV on Facebook

Super XV Rugby Team news