Blues   Brumbies   Bulls   Cheetahs   Chiefs    Crusaders   Force    Highlanders   Hurricanes   Lions    Rebels   Reds   Sharks   Stormers  Waratahs - S.Kings
---- --- -- - ----

Stormers leave it late against Hurricanes

Duane Vermeulen clears the ball for the Stormers against the Hurricanes

Print Article | Click here for a free $150 Bet |

Article Published: Saturday 1 March 2014|

The Stormers won their first Super Rugby match of the 2014 season when they beat the Hurricanes 19-18 at Newlands on Friday.

The Stormers trailed for most of the match and needed a late rolling maul try to win the match three minutes from full time.

The Hurricanes who outscored the Stormers by two tries to one have not won in Cape Town since 2006 and have lost on their last three visits to the city.

The result means that the Stormers will fly out to New Zealand to face the Crusaders next week with some much needed confidence as after the Crusaders they have matches against the Chiefs, Brumbies and Reds - all former champions.

Some 32,000 Stormers fans were kept on the edge of their seats in the final five minutes as the home side were stretched to the limits in search of the match-winning points.

Once they managed the push-over try, it was left to the steely flyhalf Demtri Catrakilis to steer his conversion effort between the uprights for the decisive points.

The Hurricanes held the upper hand in the opening six minutes when the Stormers battled to exit their own 22m area.

When the Stormers did manage to transfer play into the opposition half, the visitors infringed at a driving maul and Catrakilis slotted a penalty from the opponents' 10m line in the seventh minute for the first points of the game.

This early advance seemed to lift the Stormers' game somewhat and the Hurricanes were under pressure for a sustained period but they kept their defensive lines intact, despite several threatening raids on their tryline.

The Hurricanes did, however, infringe at a breakdown and Catrakilis kept the scoreboard ticking over with a 20th minute penalty.

Six minutes ahead of the half-time break, the Stormers' defence was found wanting out wide and Hurricanes left wing Julain Savea ran on to a kick-ahead to pounce for the opening try of the match.

Flyhalf Beauden Barrett slotted over the conversion to give the Hurricanes a slender 7-6 lead, which was very much against the run of play.

Two minutes later, the Stormers suffered a further setback when right wing Cory Jane pounced on a crosskick and dived in unchallenged for his side's second try, which went unconverted, but allowed the New Zealanders to open up a six-point lead by the time the teams changed ends.

There seemed a far greater sense of urgency in the Stormers' ranks when play resumed in the second half but despite a flood of penetrative runs into the Hurricanes' 22m area, the hosts came up short every time.

There was very little variation to the Stormers' attacks and the Hurricanes saw off their best efforts, although they surrendered penalties, two of which were converted by Catrakilis.

The Hurricanes too enjoyed a fair amount of time in the Stormers' half but they seldom attacked the tryline.

They made their visits into the Stormers' half count when Barrett was on target with two more penalties to restore the six-point lead at 18-12.

The final 10 minutes provided the Stormers with a chance to salvage the game when they exerted great pressure on the Hurricanes defence.

Given the six-point deficit, they twice spurned the opportunity to go for posts when they won penalties, and instead opted for a line-out.

The third time, in the space of the final five minutes, proved the pivotal moment when the Stormers powered forward and over the line allowing flank Deon Fourie to score the try.

Catrakilis' resulting conversion proved the difference in the end.

Final Score Stormers 19 (6) Hurricanes 18 (12)


Tries - D.Fourie
Pen - D.Catrakilis 4
Con - D.Catrakilis
Drop -
Cards -

Tries - J.Savea, C.Jane
Pen - B.Barrett 2
Con - B.Barrett
Drop -
Cards -

Match Officials
: Steve Walsh
Assistant Ref 1:Andrew Lees
Assistant Ref 2:Marc van Zyl
TMO:Deon van Blommenstein



15. Jaco Taute , 14. Kobus van Wyk , 13. Jean de Villiers (captain) , 12. Damian de Allende , 11. Gio Aplon , 10. Demetri Catrakilis , 9. Louis Schreuder , 8. Duane Vermeulen , 7. Siya Kolisi , 6.Deon Fourie  , 5. Manuel Carizza , 4. Rynhardt Elstadt , 3. Frans Malherbe , 2. Scarra Ntubeni , 1. Steven Kitshoff

Replacements: 16. Liebenberg , 17. Oliver Kebble , 18. Pat Cilliers , 19. Michael Rhodes , 20. Nizaam Carr , 21. Nic Groom , 22. Kurt Coleman , 23. Ryno Eksteen


Marty Banks, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith (c), Hadleigh Parkes, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Blade Thomson, Jack Lam, Faifili Levave, Mark Reddish, Jeremy Thrush, John Schwalger, Dane Coles, Ben Franks.

Replacements : Motu Matu'u, Chris Eves Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, James Broadhurst, Ardie Savea, Chris Smylie, Alapati Leiua, James Marshall.

Super XV on Facebook

Super XV Rugby Team news