Blues   Brumbies   Bulls   Cheetahs   Chiefs    Crusaders   Force    Highlanders   Hurricanes   Lions    Rebels   Reds   Sharks   Stormers  Waratahs - S.Kings
---- --- -- - ----

Sharks extend lead at the top with Blues victory

Etienne Oosthuizen of the Sharks is tackled by Simon Hickey (L) and Tevita Li (R)

Print Article | Click here for a free $150 Bet |

Article Published: Friday 23 May 2014|

The Sharks extended their winning streak over the Blues to ten consecutive matches when they beat the Aucklanders 23-29 at North Harbour Stadium in Albany.

The result provisionally moves the Sharks nine points clear at the top of the Super Rugby standing and makes the Sharks the first South African Super Rugby team to go unbeaten in New Zealand.

The result almost certainly ends the Blues play off hopes as they are last in the New Zealand Conference and are 16 points behind the tournament leading Sharks.

Flyhalf Francois Steyn kicked 16 points, contributed to a controversial second-half try, and spent 10 minutes in the sin-bin while ensuring the Sharks won for the third time in four matches on their tour to Australia and New Zealand, and maintained their season-long reign atop the tournament ladder.

The Sharks return to South Africa for four matches in which they can cement first place while the Blues, anchored in 10th place before this match, are left to contemplate a season which again has fallen short of the promise of their star-studded roster.

Captain Bismarck du Plessis scored a first-half try for the Sharks, who led throughout the match, though they were twice reduced to 14 men by yellow cards and played a total of 20 minutes with a man down.

In that respect, the match was similar to their 30-25 win over the Crusaders in Christchurch last weekend when they played for 64 minutes with 14 men and for 10 minutes with 13 but still posted their first win in Christchurch.

The Sharks, under World Cup-winning Springboks coach Jake White, appear to have developed a pattern and gameplan so economical, settled, and precise that it can be sustained even when they are short-handed.

Some observers of Super Rugby are concerned a tournament win by the Sharks would be a victory for a cynical brand of rugby - unsightly for spectators.

The two yellow cards incurred by the Durban-based side on Friday further emphasized the cynical nature of their game - they slow play and consistently impede opposition ball - but there was still massive admiration for the manner in which they managed to win while reduced to 14 men for a quarter of the match.

The Sharks extended to 10 matches their winning streak over the Blues but, most importantly, return to South Africa with a 3-1 record on tour which ensured they retained first place through the hardest part of their season.

"To be honest we wanted to win four out of four, I'd be lying if I didn't say we wanted to win four out of four,"said Du Plessis.

"But three out of four on a hard trip, we're very happy with that.

"What we wanted to do was really put them under pressure at scrum time and lineouts, and we got that in the first half. Second half we were a wee bit under the pump."

Du Plessis scored his 15th Super Rugby try in the 15th minute of the first half, and scrumhalf Cobus Reinach touched down in the 15th minute of the second, reproducing the length-of-the-field, kick-and-chase try that he scored early in the second half of the match against Crusaders.

His try on Friday was equally influential in tipping the match in the Sharks' favor. But it came from obvious offside play and a knock-on by Steyn, which went unobserved by the referee, his assistants or the television match official.

The second of Auckland's tries, to winger Tevita Li, also came from a blatant forward pass which was similarly undetected by the officials, and enlarged concern about the drop in refereeing standards this season.

The Sharks lost prop Jannie du Plessis to a yellow card in the 42nd, and the Blues immediately capitalized with a try to their captain, Luke Braid.

Steyn was yellow-carded in the 61st and the Blues again scored, through Li, but the home side never achieved a lead, and face another finish among the tournament's also-rans.

Final Score Blues 23 (6) Sharks 29 (16)


Tries - L.Braid, T. Li
Pen - S.Hickey 2, I West
Con - S.Hickey, I.West
Drop -
Cards -

Tries - B.du Plessis, C.Reinach
Pen - F.Steyn 3, SP Marais
Con - F.Steyn 2
Drop - F.Steyn
Cards - J.du Plessis (42nd minute), F.Steyn (61st minute yellow)

Match Officials
: Nick Briant
Assistant Ref 1: Mike Fraser.
Assistant Ref 2: Aki Aso
TMO: Aaron Peterson.



15. Lolagi Visinia,14. Frank Halai,13. Pita Ahki,12. Ma'a Nonu,11. Tevita Li,10. Simon Hickey,9. Bryn Hall,8. Jerome Kaino,7. Luke Braid (C),6. Peter Saili,5. Tom Donnelly,4. Patrick Tuipulotu,3. Charlie Faumuina,2. Keven Mealamu,1. Tony Woodcock

Replacements :16. James Parsons,17. Sam Prattley,18. Angus Ta'avao,19. Hayden Triggs,20. Steven Luatua,21. Jamison Gibson-Park,22. Ihaia West,23. Albert Nikoro.


15. SP Marais , 14. JP Pietersen , 13. S'bura Sithole , 12. Paul Jordaan , 11. Lwazi Mvovo , 10. Francois Steyn , 9. Cobus Reinach , 8. Willem Alberts , 7. Tera Mtembu , 6. Jacques Botes , 5. Stephan Lewies , 4. Etienne Oosthuizen , 3. Jannie du Plessis , 2. Bismarck du Plessis (C) , 1. Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements : 16. Kyle Cooper , 17. Dale Chadwick , 18. Lourens Adriaanse , 19. Ryan Kankowski , 20. Keegan Daniel , 21. Charl McLeod , 22. Tim Swiel , 23. Heimar Williams

Super XV on Facebook

Super XV Rugby Team news