Super Rugby

Donald at the double as Chiefs cruise to victory over the Reds




The Chiefs thrashed the Reds 46-17 at Yarrow Stadium in New Plymouth and continue the New Zealand dominance over their Trans-Tasman neighbours.

The Chiefs scored six tries to three with Stephen Donald – a last minute replacement for Aaron Cruden – grabbing a brace and Damian McKenzie kicking 16 points as they claimed another bonus-point.

The Kiwis never got out of second gear and it was too easy in the second half as the Chiefs turned an eight-point lead into a 29-point rout.

The New Zealanders raced to a 20-12 half-time lead but, it was after the break, that they picked up the tempo and dismantled the Queenslanders.

At 13-12, the Reds had two opportunities to go ahead with penalties. Instead, they opted for touch and lost their moment.

Conversely, the Chiefs took their three points and built a lead.

Quade Cooper summed up the muddled thinking when he attempted a drop-goal soon after turning down the penalty goals.

The Chiefs proceeded to put the visitors to the sword with an exhibition of attacking rugby, especially by their back three of McKenzie and Lowe. Charlie Ngatai capped his return with a stellar display.

He scored a try and set up another as well as terrorising the Australian backline.

The Reds fell off tackles, missing 19 and turned over ball at the breakdown, lost scrums and lineouts as their set-piece crumbled.

The Reds did score through Campbell Magnay in the second period, but it was all they had to show for their efforts.

Donald managed two and Lowe added insult to injury with his try as the Chiefs secured another Australian scalp.

Australian rugby needs to have a root and branch overhaul because this is not good enough. For the hosts, it’s more of the same.

Final score: Chiefs 46 (20) Reds 17 (12)


Tries – Hames, Ngatai, Bird, Donald (2), Lowe
Pen – McKenzie (2)
Con – McKenzie (5)
Drop –
Cards –

Tries – Moore, Nabuli, Magnay
Pen –
Con – Cooper
Drop –
Cards – Smith (Yellow, 26th minute)

Match Officials
Referee: Jamie Nutbrown
Assistant Ref 1: Mike Fraser
Assistant Ref 2: Cam Stone
TMO: Shane McDermott



15 Damian McKenzie, 14 Toni Pulu, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Charlie Ngatai, 11 James Lowe, 10 Stephen Donald, 9 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 8 Michael Leitch, 7 Sam Cane (co-captain), 6 Mitchell Brown, 5 Brodie Retallick, 4 Dominic Bird, 3 Nepo Laulala, 2 Hika Elliot, 1 Kane Hames.

Replacements: 16 Nathan Harris, 17 Siegfried Fisi’ihoi, 18 Atu Moli, 19 Taleni Seu, 20 Liam Messam, 21 Jonathan Taumateine, 22 Sam McNicol, 23 Shaun Stevenson.

Reds 15 Duncan Paia’aua, 14 Izaia Perese, 13 Campbell Magnay, 12 Samu Kerevi (captain), 11 Eto Nabuli, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 James Tuttle, 8 Scott Higginbotham, 7 George Smith, 6 Hendrik Tui, 5 Lukhan Tui, 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Sam Talakai, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Sef Fa’agase.

Replacements: 16 Alex Mafi, 17 Kirwan Sanday, 18 Taniela Tupou, 19 Izack Rodda, 20 Leroy Houston, 21 Nick Frisby, 22 Hamish Stewart, 23 Chris Kuridrani.

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.