Blues   Brumbies   Bulls   Cheetahs   Chiefs    Crusaders   Force    Highlanders   Hurricanes   Lions    Rebels   Reds   Sharks   Stormers  Waratahs - S.Kings
---- --- -- - ----

Giteau kicks Brumbies to a draw with the Force

Print Article | Click here for a free $150 Bet |

Article Published: Saturday 21 May 2011|

Matt Giteau kicked a penalty 10 minutes from full time to earn the Brumbies a 13-13 draw with the Force in Perth

The Brumbies opened the scoring with a try by Henry Speight but 10 minutes last Force scored their only try through Sam Wykes.

The Force could have snatched the victory with a penalty in extra time but James O'Connor's 52m kick was short.

O'Connor also lost control of the ball in a tackle as he fell over the tryline in the second half.

Both teams are out of contention for the playoffs, and neither managed to change their respective 12th and 13th positions on the table on Saturday.

The Force dominated the possession at 90 % in the second half but the Brumbies defence was outstanding.

The only change in the score from half time to full time was a penalty kick from each team.

"We're disappointed," said captain Nathan Sharpe, who was playing his 50th Super match for the Force, and 144th overall.

"We came here with an attacking mindset and put ourselves in good position and with controlled pressure we'd have got there. But credit to the Brumbies, they held strong and we let them off with mistakes."

The Brumbies were happiest after a public roasting from coach Tony Rea following their defeat to the last-place Lions last weekend, when he called his team a "mob without any fight."

"What Tony talked about, our attitude really showed tonight," Brumbies flyhalf Matt Giteau said.

"We fought hard and got a draw. That result is pretty good for us."

However, the Brumbies haven't won their last five matches, and neither have they won any of their five matches against their fellow Australian sides.

After only three minutes, Brumbies fullback Pat McCabe hit a gap at pace and drew the last man to give winger Henry Speight a free run to the line.

But Force lock Sam Wykes, who began an attack with a nifty run, finished it taking a lob pass on the right wing to score a converted try to level. Force prop Pek Cowan left the field with a fractured cheekbone.

Giteau and O'Connor then traded penalties in each half.

In the second, O'Connor was short from about 48 meters, and his last shot in injury time was from about 52 meters and fell at least 5 short of the posts.

Final Score Western Force 13 Brumbies 13


Western Force
Tries - S Wykes
Pen - J O'Connor 2
Con - J O'Connor
Drop -
Cards -

Tries -H. Speight 
Pen - M Giteau 2
Con - M Giteau
Drop -
Cards -

Match Officials
Referee: Ian Smith
Ass. Ref. 1: Nathan Pearce
Ass. Ref. 2: Julian Pritchard
TMO: George Ayoub


Western Force:1. Pek Cowan,2. Nathan Charles ,3. Matt Dunning ,4. Sam Wykes,5. Nathan Sharpe (Captain),6. Matt Hodgson,7. David Pocock,8. Ben McCalman,9. Brett Sheehan,10. Willie Ripia,11. David Smith,12. James O'Connor,13. Rory Sidey,14. Nick Cummins ,15. Patrick Dellit

Reserves:16. Ben Whittaker ,17. Kieran Longbottom,18. Tom Hockings,19. Jono Jenkins,20. James Stannard,21. Gene Fairbanks,22. Alfie Mafi

Brumbies:1. Jono Owen , 2. Stephen Moore , 3. Ben Alexander , 4. Ben Hand , 5. Mark Chisholm , 6. Rocky Elsom , 7. Colby Faingaa , 8. Julian Salvi , 9. Josh Valentine , 10. Matt Giteau , 11. Adam Ashley-Cooper , 12. Christian Lealiifano , 13. Tyrone Smith , 14. Henry Speight , 15. Patrick McCabe

Replacements :16. Anthony Hegarty , 17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa , 18. Peter Kimlin , 19. Michael Hooper , 20. Patrick Phibbs , 21. Robbie Coleman , 22. Andrew Smith

Super XV Rugby Advertising

Super XV Rugby Team news