Blues   Brumbies   Bulls   Cheetahs   Chiefs    Crusaders   Force    Highlanders   Hurricanes   Lions    Rebels   Reds   Sharks   Stormers  Waratahs - S.Kings
---- --- -- - ----

Rebels yell as Blues season sinks to new low

James O'Connor scores a try for the Rebels

Print Article | Click here for a free $150 Bet |

Article Published: Thursday 5 April 2012|

The Rebels secured their second Super Rugby victory of the season when they beat the troubled Blues 34-23 in Melbourne.

The loss was the Blues fifth loss of the season and all but rules them out of the playoffs this season as the result drops them down to last place.

Man of the match James O'Connor scored a try, two conversions and five penalties for a total of 24 out of the Rebels 34 points.

The Melbourne side got full value from their new signings as Kurtley Beale also scored a try as did Welsh import Gareth Delve.

The result moves the Rebels into tenth place on the overall standings but importantly up to third place in the Australian conference so they lead the Reds and the Force.

Victory for the Rebels came at a price though as prop Laurie Weeks suffered a shoulder injury and hooker Adam Freier was forced off after just 10 minutes with a calf problem.

Both teams started the match in search of a second Super Rugby victory but the Rebels won despite the Blues having the most early attacking opportunities.

The writing was on the wall early on as the Blues were attacking the Rebels tryline but they were a little too lose and let Rebels fullback Kurtley Beale snatch an intercept pass allowing him to run the length of the field to score the first try of the match.

In the run up to the Rebels try the Blues had strung together 15 phases on attack but then Blues No. 8 Brad Mika tried to push a pass with teammates lined up outside him.

Successful penalty kicks from O'Connor and Blues scrumhalf Gareth Anscombe left the score 11-9 for the Rebels at halftime.

The Blues took the lead two minutes into the second half when winger Rene Ranger tiptoed down the sideline and got a ball away to fullback Rudi Wolf to score, with Anscombe's conversion pushing the advantage to 16-11.

Two penalties by O'Connor gave his side a one-point lead and then man-of-the-match O'Connor got a try of his own, running on to a ball from hooker Ged Robinson.

Blues flanker Chris Lowrey scored a try with three minutes left to leave the Blues trailing 27-23, before a last-minute try by Rebels captain Gareth Delve clinched the match.

Final Score Rebels 34 (11) Blues 23 (9)


Tries - K. Beale, J. O'Connor, G. Delve
Pen - J. O'Connor 5
Con - J. O'Connor 2
Drop -
Cards -

Tries - R. Wulf, C. Lowrey
Pen - G. Anscombe 3
Con - G. Anscombe 2
Drop -
Cards -

Match Officials
Bryce Lawrence
Assistant Ref 1: Andrew Lees
Assistant Ref 2: James Leckie
TMO: Matt Goddard



1. Nic Henderson, 2. Adam Freier, 3. Rodney Blake, 4. Luke Jones, 5. Hugh Pyle (vc), 6. Jarrod Saffy, 7. Michael Lipman, 8. Gareth Delve (c), 9. Nick Phipps, 10. Danny Cipriani, 11. Mark Gerrard, 12. James O'Connor, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Lachlan Mitchell, 15. Kurtley Beale.

Replacements: 16. Ged Robinson, 17. Laurie Weeks, 18. Alister Campbell, 19. Tim Davidson, 20. Richard Kingi, 21. Julian Huxley, 22. Lloyd Johansson.


1. Tony Woodcock, 2. Keven Mealamu (C), 3. Charlie Faumuina, 4. Filo Paulo, 5. Ali Williams , 6. Chris Lowrey, 7. Dan Pryor, 8. Brad Mika, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Gareth Anscombe, 11. Rene Ranger, 12. Ma'a Nonu, 13. Benson Stanley, 14. Lachie Munro, 15. Rudi Wulf

Replacements: 16. Tom McCartney, 17. Tevita Mailau, 18. Liaki Moli, 19. Daniel Braid, 20. Piri Weepu, 21. Michael Hobbs, 22. Hadleigh Parkes.

Super XV Rugby Advertising

Super XV Rugby Team news