Super Rugby

Sanzaar to reveal Super Rugby’s future on Sunday

on

Super Rugby Quick Links : Home | News | Fixtures | Super Rugby Betting | Standings |

Super Rugby’s organising body Sanzaar have announced that they will reveal the future format for Super Rugby at the end of Round 7.

The 18 team format is unloved by the fans and the broadcasters and there has been wide speculation that the tournament will be cut to 15 teams.

Two teams from South Africa are understood to be under threat of losing their places and one from Australia.

Argentina and Japan who joined last year are understood to be safe and not under threat of losing their places.

The Southern Kings and the Cheetahs are the two South African teams said to be in line to be cut while the Force from Australia are rumoured to be in line to be dropped.

Sanzaar have chosen to make their statement at the end the round which finishes with the Force playing the Southern Kings in Perth which could be why Sanzaar has chosen to make the statement after they have played.

In a statement Sanzaar said that they will, “issue a statement to officially announce details on the future of Super Rugby and the tournament format at the conclusion of Round 7 on Sunday 9 April at 1800 Sydney time (1000 SAST/2000 NZST).”

If South Africa and Australia cannot agree on cutting teams then the status quo will remain and the 18 team format will continue for the forseeable future.

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *