Super Rugby

Waratahs run in record score against Reds




The Waratahs moved back to the top of the Australian Super Rugby conference by beating the Reds 41-52 at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Earlier in the round the Rebels beat the Blues in Auckland which nudged the Melbourne side ahead of the Waratahs in the Australian Super Rugby conference.

A total of fifteen tries were scored in the match and the combined 93 points is the most ever scored in an Australian Super rugby derby clash.

The Waratahs score of 52 points is the most points the New South Wales team has ever scored against Australian opposition in a Super rugby match.

The loss for the Reds is their 9th from 13 matches this season and the Waratahs 7th win from 13 matches. The Waratahs have also earned a draw this season.

The Waratahs outscored the Reds eight tries to seven, with the boot of NSW flyhalf Bernard Foley kicking six conversions to push the score past 50.

Reds head coach Brad Thorn said: “It was an unusual game. The momentum swung a lot. There were some positives, but there were some disappointing aspects too. Our defence and kicking let us down at times.

“In saying that, we played some great attacking Rugby and scored some nice tries. We have a great group of young guys who are learning their trade and you can’t fault their effort. They are putting in.

“Don’t get me wrong, we all hate losing and we’re disappointed not to get the result tonight, but probably the most pleasing thing for me was we fought to the end and the crowd behind us. The score blew out a bit at one point, but our fans stuck with us. I think everyone appreciated the effort from the guys tonight.”

The Reds got off to a flying start, with captain Scott Higginbotham nabbing an intercept from inside his team’s 22m, charging up field before passing to winger Izaia Perese to dot down under the posts. Hamish Stewart kicked the conversion and the Reds lead 7-0 after two minutes.

The Waratahs hit back quickly, with big winger Taqele Naiyaravoro using his size to draw two defenders before offloading to centre Curtis Rona, who pushed his way over in the corner. Bernard Foley kicked the conversion from the sideline to level the scores at 7-7.

The Reds extended their lead in the 14th minute with Higginbotham touching down from close range, after a strong five-metre scrum set up the attacking raid. Stewart missed the conversion, but the Reds lead 12-7.

Again the Waratahs returned fire, finding space out wide for Michael Wells to cross over. Foley kicked the conversion to give his side a 14-12 lead. They were in again in the 29th minute, with Naiyaravoro using his size to evade three defenders before crossing in the corner. Foley kicked the conversion to extend his side’s lead to 21-12.

The Reds hit back in the 32nd minute with a try to young prop Taniela Tupou, who barged over from short range. Stewart kicked the conversion and close the gap to 21-19.

The Waratahs had the last say in the first half, with Foley notching his side’s third try and converting it to take a 28-19 lead into half time.

The game looked as though it might blow out in the early stages of the second half, as the visitors pushed out to a 40-19 lead within 10 minutes, off the back of tries to Nick Phipps and Israel Folau.

But the Reds clawed their way back into the contest, with a pair of tries to their forwards – with reserve hooker Alex Mafi forcing his way over from close, before Caleb Timu showed why the Wallabies coaches picked him for the June Tests, rampaging his way over the line from 15 metres out. The pair of tries closed the gap to 40-29 with 20 minutes to play.

Again the Waratahs pushed their lead out, with a pair of tries through reserve scrumhalf Jake Gordon and winger Cam Clark. They lead 52-29 with 10 minutes left on the clock.

The Reds had the final say in the game, showing their home crowd they wouldn’t die wondering, as they notched late tries to 18-year-old winger Jordan Petaia and prop Sef Fa’agase.

The match also saw evergreen flanker George Smith become the fifth-most capped Super Rugby player of all time, with his 163 appearance in the competition.

Both teams now take a break from Super rugby for the June Internationals but return for Round 17 which starts on Friday 29 June.

The Reds play the Blues in Auckland in Round 17 and the Waratahs travel to Melbourne to face the Rebels in what is shaping to be the Australian Super rugby Conference decider.

Final score Reds 41 (19) Waratahs 52 (28)


Tries – I.Perese, S.Higginbotham, T.Tupou, A.Mafi, C.Timu, J.Petaia, S.Fa’agase
Pen –
Con – H.Stewart 2, B.Lucas
Drop –
Cards – K.Douglas (48th min yellow)

Tries – C.Rona, M.Wells, T.Naiyaravoro, I.Folau 2, N.Phipps, J.Gordon, C.Clark
Pen –
Con – B.Foley 6
Drop –
Cards –

Match Officials
Referee: Angus Gardner
Assistant Ref 1:Jordan Way
Assistant Ref 2:James Leckie
TMO : Damien Mitchelmore



1. JP Smith, 2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa , 3. Taniela Tupou , 4. Izack Rodda, 5. Kane Douglas, 6. Angus Scott-Young , 7. George Smith, 8. Scott Higginbotham (C) , 9. Moses Sorovi , 10. Hamish Stewart, 11. Jordan Petaia, 12. Duncan Paia’aua , 13. Samu Kerevi , 14. Izaia Perese, 15. Jono Lance

Replacements : 16. Alex Mafi , 17. Sef Fa’agase, 18. Ruan Smith , 19. Harry Hockings, 20. Caleb Timu , 21. Liam Wright, 22. Ben Lucas, 23. Jayden Ngamanu


15 Israel Folau, 14 Cam Clark, 13 Curtis Rona, 12 Kurtley Beale, 11 Taqele Naiyaravoro, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Michael Wells, 7 Michael Hooper (captain), 6 Will Miller, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Jed Holloway, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Damien Fitzpatrick, 1 Tom Robertson

Replacements: 16 Tolu Latu, 17 Harry Johnson-Holmes, 18 Shambeckler Vui, 19 Tom Staniforth, 20 Brad Wilkin, 21 Jake Gordon, 22 Lalakai Foketi, 23 Bryce Hegarty

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.