Super Rugby

Brumbies put the boot into Sharks




Canberra’s Brumbies earned their second Super rugby victory of the season by beating the Sharks 24-17 at GIO Stadium in Australia’s capital city.

Both teams scored two tries each but the difference came down to kicking with Wharenui Hawera slotting two long range penalties and two further crucial penalties.

The Brumbies were let down by their discipline and had to play for 20 minutes with 14 players as Lachlan McCaffrey and Allan Alaalatoa were yellow carded in the first and second half respectively.

A late try by Curwin Bosch of the Sharks created a tense finish for hosts the Brumbies as the visiting side finished strongly and were pressing for a draw but the Canberra side held on to win.

The match was the Brumbies first at home for the 2018 and after losses to the Reds and Rebels in recent weeks they were desperate to win back the few fans that turned up to watch the match.

Wharenui Hawera opened the scoring with a long range kick about 52m out in the sixth minute.

As the opening quarter progressed all of the territory and possession stats were dominated by the Brumbies but the home side struggled to turn this advantage into points.

From a line out the Brumbies drive for the line and then sucked in the Sharks defenders which allowed Lausii Taliauli to run in the opening try of the match without a Sharks player laying a hand on him.

Hawera added the conversion for a 10-0 lead but while the Brumbies were in charge of most parts of the match their scrum was struggling and Scott Sio was penalised a number of times for collapsing.

The Sharks first points came after 30 minutes through a penalty from Robert du Preez but that was all the South African side could do for the first half and they trailed 10-3 at the break.

Henry Speight scored the first try in the second half and although it was one of his easiest kicks of the match Hawera was unable to add the conversion.

The Sharks responded ten minutes later by sending Thomas du Toit for their first after 55 minutes and Du Preez added the conversion.

The Brumbies created several opportunities but were unable to finish and had to rely on Hawera’s boot to keep the momentum flowing their way and they held on for the victory.


Next week the Brumbies have a bye while the Sharks travel to Melbourne where they will play the Rebels.

Final Score Brumbies 24 (10) Sharks 17 (3)


Tries – L.Taliauli, H.Speight
Pen – W.Hawera 4
Con – W.Hawera
Drop –
Cards – L.McCaffrey (35th min yellow),  A. Alaalatoa (52nd min yellow)

Tries – T.du Toit, C.Bosch
Pen – R.du Preez
Con – R.du Preez 2
Drop –
Cards –

Match Officials
Referee: Glen Jackson
Assistant Ref 1:Will Houston
Assistant Ref 2:James Leckie
TMO :Ian Smith



15 Andrew Muirhead, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Christian Lealiifano (captain), 11 Lausii Taliauli, 10 Wharenui Hawera, 9 Joe Powell, 8 Isi Naisarani, 7 Tom Cusack, 6 Lachlan McCaffrey, 5 Blake Enever, 4 Rory Arnold, 3 Allan Alaalatoa, 2 Folau Faingaa, 1 Scott Sio

Replacements : 16 Connal McInerney, 17 Nic Mayhew, 18 Leslie Leuluaialii-Makin, 19 Richie Arnold, 20 Lolo Fakaosilea, 21 Matt Lucas, 22 James Dargaville, 23 Tom Banks


15. Curwin Bosch, 14. Kobus van Wyk, 13. Lukhanyo Am, 12. Andre Esterhuizen, 11. Makazole Mapimpi, 10. Robert du Preez, 9. Louis Schreuder, 8. Tera Mtembu, 7. Jacques Vermeulen, 6. Wian Vosloo, 5. Stephan Lewies, 4. Ruan Botha (c), 3. Thomas du Toit, 2. Akker van der Merwe, 1. Tendai Mtawarira, ,

Replacements: 16. Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17. Juan Schoeman, 18. John-Hubert Meyer, 19. Tyler Paul, 20. Jean-Luc du Preez, 21. Cameron Wright, 22. Marius Louw, 23. Lwazi Mvovo

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.