The Brumbies have played the Reds 34 times in Super rugby proper since 1996 and the Brumbies have won 25 matches, lost 8 times and drawn once.
The Brumbies 25 wins out of 34 matches gives them a record of winning 74% of their proper Super rugby matches against the Reds regardless of venue.
- Each of the last 10 Super Rugby games between the Brumbies and Reds have been won by the home team on the day; indeed, the Brumbies have won their last seven home games on the bounce against the Queensland side.
- The only previous post-season meeting between the Brumbies and Reds came in the 2001 Super Rugby semi-finals when the Brumbies ran out to a 30-6 win before clinching the championship against the Sharks the following week.
- The Brumbies (2) are the only Australian team to have won multiple Super Rugby Grand Finals and they will be looking to become just the fourth team to win three championships (Crusaders 11, Bulls 3, Blues 3).
- The Brumbies have scored more (16) and conceded fewer (10) tries in the first halves of their games in Super Rugby AU than any other team in the competition.
- The Reds have gained more metres (476), made more clean breaks (11), beaten more defenders (25), and made more offloads (8) per game in Super Rugby AU than any other team in the competition.
- The Brumbies have scored 24 tries on possession begun with a lineout win (inc. two from steals) in Super Rugby AU, 11 more than any other team; their 15 lineouts won per game (inc. steals) is also the most of any team in the competition.
- The Reds have scored the opening try of the game in seven of their last 11 Super Rugby away meetings with the Brumbies; however, the Canberran outfit have struck the first try in each of their two such meetings in 2020.
- Only NSW Waratahs’ stalwart Michael Hooper (94) has hit more defensive rucks in Super Rugby AU than Reds’ duo Liam Wright (84) and Fraser McReight (84).
- Joe Powell (Brumbies) has made nine break passes in Super Rugby AU, two more than any other player in the competition.
- Tate McDermott (Reds) has scored nine tries and provided nine try assists in his 16 Super Rugby appearances in 2020; he has scored two tries and made one try assist in his last three starts against the Brumbies.
We are waiting for the kick-off.
The Reds kick off and the match is underway.
2.00: The Brumbies win an early line out but get shoved into touch.
4.00: Penalty to the Brumbies. Noah Lolesio takes the kick and nails it. The Brumbies lead 3-0.
8.00: There is a break in play for an injury to a Reds player. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto gets some strapping and then carries on.
10.00 Scrum penalty against the Brumbies after the front row stood up. O’Connor kicks for touch.
12.00: Penalty to the Reds. O’Connor lines up the posts and nails it leveling the scores. 3-3.
16.00: The Brumbies win a line out and set up their drive towards the line and power forward. They drive over the line and Folau Fainga’a drops to the ground with the ball and scores. TRY!
17.00: Lolesio takes the conversion and nails it. 10-3.
21.00: The Brumbies retain possession through 7 phases but then they knock on and so do the Reds.
23.00: Scrum penalty against the Brumbies. Front row standing up again. The Reds kick for touch.
24.00: The Reds win the line but the Brumbies turn it over and kick it upfield.
25.00: The Brumbies make steady ground but the try looks unlikely even though they are 5m out thanks to a run by Tevita Kuridrani. The ball pops out of the ruck for Andy Muirhead who dodges three tackles and dives for the line. He slides over and scores. TRY!
27.00: Lolesio takes the conversion and hits the post. 15-3
30.00: The Reds hit back. The Reds pass the ball freely in unstructured play until Jordan Petaia slices through the Brumbies and offloads to Harry Wilson who scores. TRY!
31.00: O’Connor adds the conversion. 15-10
35.00: The Brumbies put the Reds under pressure on their tryline but the Reds turn the ball over and kick it away to safety.
39.00: Penalty to the Reds. They will have a shot at the posts.
40.00: The siren sounds.
41.00: O’Connor takes the kick from in front. He nails it.
It’s half time.
The half time score was Brumbies 15 Reds 13
The Brumbies kick-off and the second half is underway.
43.00: The Brumbies keep the ball in hand and go through 12 phases but the game is paused as Lukhan Salakaia-Loto has gone down after taking a knock to the head. He has to leave the field for a HIA. He does not look like he will be back. The match resumes with a scrum to the Brumbies.
45.00: Andy Muirhead takes a quick tap at the ruck. He darts away and gets the Brumbies to the line but is stopped. The Brumbies go wide to the other side and Tom Banks sees a gap and takes it. He slices through and scores. TRY!
47.00: Lolesio slots the conversion. 22-13
49.00: The Brumbies work the ball back down into the Reds 22. They set up their attack but it slows so Lolesio goes for the drop and slots a field goal. 25-13.
50.00: The Reds are reduced to 14 players as Filipo Daugunu is shown a yellow card for a dangerous lifting tackle.
54.00: Penalty to the Brumbies. Lolesio takes the kick and nails it.
58.00: Penalty to the Reds. O’Connor lines up the posts and nails the penalty for the Reds first points this half. 28-16
62.00: The Brumbies are playing clever by holding on to the ball as much as they can and limiting opportunities for the Reds.
63.00: The Reds get the ball and move it down the wing. As they attack Taniela Tupou is stopped but the Reds recycle and the go over the line. The TMO will check for a knock-on. The TMO checks from all angles and the try is awarded to Angus Blyth. TRY!
64.00: O’Connor adds the conversion. 28-23
70.00: The Reds are very hungry for this while you get the feeling that the Brumbies are trying to hold on to that five-point lead and close out the game.
73.00: The Reds are in the Brumbies half. They get the penalty for hands in the ruck and kick to the corner. They are going for the try.
74.00: The Brumbies steal the line out and clear the ball into touch – which gives the Reds another line out.
75.00: The Reds win the line out and press forward. They get to the 5m line and look really dangerous. The Brumbies scramble and hang on. The Reds recycle but as they keep going they concede a penalty.
76.00: Tom Banks kicks for touch to clear the ball and relieve the pressure.
77.00: The Brumbies have pushed the Reds almost back to their 22. The Reds are trapped in their half. Phase after phase but they cant get to the half way line.
There is a break in play as Angus Blyth has taken a knock. He comes off.
80.00: The siren sounds as a scrum collapses. The ref wants a reset.
81.0: The Brumbies win the scrum – pass the ball back to Tom Banks who kicks it into touch. The Brumbies have won the title. !!
The full time score is Brumbies 28(15) Reds 23(13)
Tries -F.Fainga’a, A.Muirhead, T.Banks
Pen -N.Lolesio 2
Con – N.Lolesio 2
Tries – H. Wilson, A Blyth
Pen – J.O.Connor 3
Con – J.O’Conor 2
Cards – F. Daugunu (50th min yellow).
Referee: Angus Gardner
Assistant Ref 1:Amy Perrett
Assistant Ref 2:Reuben Keane
TMO : James Leckie
1. Scott Sio , 2. Folau Fainga’a , 3. Allan Alaalatoa (c) , 4. Murray Douglas , 5. Cadeyrn Neville , 6. Lachlan McCaffrey , 7. Will Miller , 8. Pete Samu , 9. Joe Powell , 10. Noah Lolesio , 11. Tom Wright , 12. Irae Simone , 13. Tevita Kuridrani , 14. Andy Muirhead , 15. Tom Banks
Replacements : 16. Connal McInerney , 17. James Slipper , 18. Tom Ross , 19. Nick Frost , 20. Rob Valetini , 21. Nic White , 22. Bayley Kuenzle , 23. Solomone Kata
JP Smith, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Taniela Tupou, Angus Blyth, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Liam Wright, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Tate McDermott, James O’Connor, Filipo Daugunu, Hamish Stewart, Hunter Paisami, Jordan Petaia, Jock Campbell
Replacements : Josh Nasser, Harry Hoopert, Ruan Smith, Tuaina Taii Tualima, Angus Scott-Young, Moses Sorovi, Bryce Hegarty, Jack Hardy