Chiefs rain on Brumbies parade


Super Rugby Quick Links : Home | News | Fixtures | Super Rugby Betting | Standings |

The CA Brumbies had a night of celebrations spoiled by a 42-28 loss to an in-form Chiefs outfit tonight at Canberra Stadium.

The home side welcomed back captain Stirling Mortlock from a shoulder injury for his 100th Super Rugby match, while team mates Guy Shepherdson and Stephen Hoiles ran on for their 50th appearance.

However, despite creating a plethora of scoring opportunities and a four-try bonus point, the two time Super Rugby Champions were stung by the Waikato side’s first-half four-try blitz before eventually going down six tries to four.

CA Brumbies Head Coach Laurie Fisher said his side’s inability to control the football at crucial times was costly.

‘They didn’t play that much footy at us, but they just ripped it off us three or four times and ran anything between 20 and 80 metres to score,’ he said. ‘When you give up such soft tries and have to work so hard for your own, therein lies the difference.

‘We scrummaged alright, our lineout worked fairly well, we put pressure on their lineout but in the end we just got manhandled on quite a number of our carries.’

Despite the loss, Fisher said he was pleased with the way his side continued to play for the full 80 minutes.

‘To score four tries is a positive for us,’ he said. ‘We played the game right out; we were down 35-7, we could have thrown in the towel but we kept playing to get four tries. We showed some character but we really need to man up and muscle up in the contact area of the game.’

Chiefs winger Sitiveni Sivivatu helped his side to an early 14-0 lead when he grubber-kicked and regathered from the base of a ruck to score the opening try of the match before bursting through from first receiver off a lineout to put centre Callum Bruce in for his side’s second.

CA Brumbies’ man-of-the-match George Smith attempted to ignite a comeback midway through the term when he powered through a Tanerau Latimer/Jay Williams tackle and provided brother Tyrone with a clear run to the try line for his third try in three matches. Not content with manufacturing one try, the CA Brumbies flanker was at it again minutes later when he busted through the Chiefs defensive line and popped a pass to fellow back-rower Mitch Chapman, who was unable to handle the ball under pressure over the line.

The comeback was short-lived with Chiefs extending the lead to 35-7 courtesy of two first-half tries to flyhalf Stephen Donald and an 80-metre effort to Viliame Waqaseduadua four minutes into the second term.

The CA Brumbies responded at the 61-minute mark when scrumhalf Josh Holmes took advantage of some lax ruck defence to dive over and score before combining with Chapman to send Peter Playford across in the corner to reduce the margin to 14 with 15 minutes remaining.

While the Chiefs sealed the match in the 71st minute through a Jamie Nutbrown touchdown, Holmes crossed for a double on full time, in a carbon copy of his first, to secure the bonus point for his side.

The CA Brumbies will travel to Auckland next week to face the Blues at Eden Park on Saturday (12 April).


Chiefs 42 (Stephen Donald 2; Sitiveni Sivivatu, Callum Bruce, Viliame Waqaseduadua, Jamie Nutbrown tries; Stephen Donald 5/5 conversions, Callum Bruce 1/1 conversion) defeated CA


Brumbies 28 (Joshua Holmes 2; Peter Playford, Tyrone Smith tries; Stirling Mortlock 4/4 conversions) at Canberra Stadium, Canberra.

Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (RSA)

Half time: Chiefs 28-7   

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.