Crusaders win last Super 12 final




The Crusaders have cemented their status as the most dominant team of the Super 12 era with a nerveless 35-25 win over the Waratahs at Jade Stadium.

This makes it 5 out of 10 Super 12 tournaments.

Despite a belated three-try comeback from the Waratahs, the short-priced favourites deservedly claimed their fifth title in the tenth and final year of the competition before it changes to Super 14.

The visitors knew the match would be won and lost at the breakdown but could do little to stop the home side’s peerless display at the tackle contest.

It was a typically powerhouse 80 minutes by the seven-time finalists, vital turnovers by the likes of captain Richie McCaw and quick work at the breakdown ensuring a steady stream of ball to their fluid backs.

The home side took a 14-6 halftime lead, scoring the only try of the first half through Scott Hamilton in the 13th minute after an explosive break and kick through by winger Rico Gear.

Two tries in the opening 23 minutes of the second half broke the back of the visitors before centre Caleb Ralph’s 67th minute effort gave the Crusaders a 35-6 lead.

Ralph’s try was typical of how Canterbury punished mistakes all evening.

The Waratahs had been on the attack before replacement Al Kanaar spilled a ball 10 metres out from the tryline.

The play then went 90 metres before Ralph scored.

“They scored three tries from turnovers and you can’t do that against the Crusaders,” Waratahs captain Chris Whitaker said.

There were consolation tries to flanker Phil Waugh and a double to fullback Mat Rogers late in the match but NSW were never a threat of stealing the game.

“I was trying to do the maths there at one stage to work out what was going on,” said Crusaders captain Richie Mc Caw said of the Waratahs’ late surge.

“We let them probably in with a couple of soft opportunities but the 70-odd minutes before that was pretty effective so I won’t look at it too hard I guess.”

The Waratahs’ defence was again outstanding but their kicking game was far from great, Rogers in particular struggling to fire off any deep kicks.

Two penalty goals to Peter Hewat kept the visitors in the hunt in the first period, but Crusaders’ five-eighth Dan Carter equalled that tally before a smart drop goal to Aaron Mauger gave Canterbury a handy halftime lead.

The Crusaders lifted a gear in the second half and sent departing halfback Justin Marshall and prop Dave Hewett off as winners.

It wasn’t the same feeling for the players departing NSW including Justin Harrison (Ulster), Nathan Grey (Kyuden, Japan), Brendan Cannon, Lachlan MacKay and Cameron Shepherd (Western Force).

“We are definitely looking at this as the start of something for us but it would be remiss to say it’s not heartbreaking that we didn’t get to send off guys that have given us great service like Nathan Grey, Justin Harrison and Brendan Cannon and other guys going to Perth,” said Waratahs centre Morgan Turinui.

The Wallabies suffered a blow from the match as well with Waratahs second rower Daniel Vickerman sustaining a shoulder injury.

He is expected to be out for a month and will miss at least the first two Tests of the year against Samoa and Italy.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.