Super Rugby

Blues beat the Force in Perth




The third match of six Super Rugby matches on Saturday in Round 13 is in Perth Western Australia where the Force host the Blues.

Match detail

We are waiting for the kick off.

In the meantime why not have a look at the match preview.

The weather conditions are awful in Perth. It has been raining all day and the field is very wet. This may suit the Blues more as they played in similar conditions last week in Johannesburg.

The Force kick off and the match is underway. The Force are playing in their sea blue colour and the Blues are playing in their light blue kit. Effectively both teams are playing in a light blue.

2.00: Both sides use the boot to gain territory and the Blues win as Kyle Godwin boots it out and it goes out in the Force’s half.

3.00: Dane Haylett-Petty jumps high or a ball in the air, catches it but rolls into touch with his landing.

4.00: The Blues kick deep and Alby Mathewson has to chase and dot the ball down behind the line.

8.00: The Force go through 5 phases on attack in the Blues half but its slow. They up the pace and go through three quick phases and they get over the line. They are called back for a dangerous tackle.

10.00: Ian Prior takes the penalty kick and nails it. The Western Force lead.

12.00: Penalty to the Blues for hands in the ruck. The Blues will take a shot at the posts.

14.00: Ihaia West takes the kick and nails it. Weather conditions have calmed as we are in the eye of the storm and we are told it is coming back. The scores are level.

18.00: There is a short break in play for an injury to a Blues player.

24.00: The Blues work the ball into the Force’s 22 and after 5 phases they get to the 5m line.

25.00: The Blues work the through 10 phases and then on the 11th phase Jerome Kaino scores. TRY!

26.00: West adds the conversion.

30.00: The Force work the ball through 9 phases and they gain 10m. The Blues then turn the ball over and break out.

31.00: On the second phase Tevita Li slips past three defenders and after a shimmu he races to the line and scores. TRY!

32.00: West adds the conversion.

35.00: Ofa Tu’ungafasi comes off or a concussion test.

37.00: The Force go through 6 phases but they get pressed back with each phase. They get the advantage for offside and play on.

38.00: Penalty to the Force. They kick to the corner as they want the try.

39.00: The Force win the line out. They get the advantage and play on by spreading the ball across the face of the posts. When they get can’t get through they are called back for the penalty.

40.00: The siren sounds and the Force take the line out. They win the line out and win another penalty.

41.00: Charlie Faumuina is yellow carded. The Force take the line out again. The Blues keep the Force out and the whistle goes for half time.

It is half time.

The half time score was Force 3 Blues 17

The Blues kick off and the second half is underway. As promised the rain has returned. Heavy rain.

43.00;The Blues make a strong start to the match by working the ball into the Force’s 22 through 13 phases.

44.00: The Blues continue to pick away at the Force – 17 phases. The ball is knocked on. We hear from the sideline that Tu’ungafasi has failed the concussion test and is staying off. Jerome Kaino is also off.

47.00: The Force win a scrum and run at the Blues. The Blues defence stops the attack and the Blues counter attack. The Force turn the ball over and counter attack themselves.

49.00: The heavens have opened – it is absolutely pouring down. The Force have a line out. They win the line out and use the maul. They drive to the 5m line and start going through the phases.

51.00: The Force continue to attack through 14 phases. Kyle Godwin slips through and goes over to score. The referee says he is going to the TMO – the Force try to take the quick drop goal but referee Nutbrown says that he has already called time off. It’s no try and we go back about 10 phases to an advantage from the maul.

53.00: The Blues get Faumuina back. The Force get the ball to the 5m line and Matt Hodgson scores. TRY!

54.00:  Ben Tapuai takes the conversion kick and nails it.

55.00: Marcel Brache connects with a team-mates knee in a tackle. He goes down and has to come off for a concussion test.

56.00: The Blues win a line out in the Force’s 22. They go through a couple of phases and then get called back for a penalty. Tanerau Latimer is down.

58.00: West slices the penalty shot.

61.00: The Force get a penalty but Matt Hodgson takes a tap and knocks the ball on.

63.00: The Force get another penalty and Tapuai takes the shot – he nails it.  The momentum is with the Force. The Blues look tired.

66.00: The Blues bring on Bryn Hall for Billy Guyton. The Blues go through 9phases on attack. They get to the Force 22 but get pushed back a little and they have to scramble as the ball pops loose on the 11th phase.

70.00: The Blues go through 10 phases but concede a penalty. They kick for touch and the line out.

71.00: There is a break in play as Force captain Matt Hodgson is down injured. He is coming off. His arm in a sling.

74.00: The Force try to attack in the Blues half. The Blues turn the ball over but then concede a penalty.

75.00: The Force kick to the corner. They win the line out and after a couple of phases they win a penalty.

76.00: The Force kick to the corner. The Force win the line out and use the maul but the Blues defence comes around the side and Nic Mayhew is yellow carded. The Force take another line out.

78.00; The Force go through 6 phases in the Blues 22. The Blues scramble in defence as the Force send wave after wave. The Force win another penalty. Again they take the line out.

79.00: The Force win the ball from the line out and then lose the ball. The Blues will have the scrum.

80.00: Uncontested scrums as a Blues player is in the bin. The Blues kick the ball out and that is it.

The Blues have won.

The full time score is Force 13 (3) Blues 17 (17)


Tries – M.Hodgson
Pen – I.Prior, B.Tapuai
Con –  B.Tapuai
Drop –
Cards –

Tries – J.Kaino, T.Li
Pen – I.West
Con – I.West 2
Drop –
Cards – C.Faumuina (40th min yellow), Nic Mayhew (77th min yellow)

Match Officials
Referee: Jamie Nutbrown
Assistant Ref 1:Rohan Hoffmann
Assistant Ref 2:Jordan Way
TMO : Peter Marshall


Western Force

1 Francois Van Wyk , 2 Harry Scoble , 3 Guy Millar , 4 Ross Haylett-Petty , 5 Adam Coleman , 6 Brynard Stander , 7 Matt Hodgson (c) , 8 Ben McCalman , 9 Alby Mathewson , 10 Ian Prior , 11 Luke Morahan , 12 Kyle Godwin , 13 Ben Tapuai , 14 Marcel Brache , 15 Dane Haylett-Petty

Replacements : 16. Anaru Rangi , 17. Pek Cowan , 18. Tetera Faulkner , 19. Rory Walton , 20. Angus Cottrell , 21. Ryan Louwrens , 22. Luke Burton , 23. Semisi Masirewa


Ofa Tu’ungafasi, James Parsons (c), Charlie Faumuina, Patrick Tuipulotu, Josh Bekhuis, Jerome Kaino, Tanerau Latimer, Steven Luatua; Billy Guyton, Ihaia West, Tevita Li, Piers Francis, George Moala, Matt Duffie, Melani Nanai.

Replacements: Quentin MacDonald, Nic Mayhew, Sione Mafileo, Hoani Matenga, Kara Pryor, Bryn Hall, Male Sa’u, Lolagi Visinia

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.