Currie Cup

Griquas smash Boland in Currie Cup



Super Rugby Quick Links : Home | News | Fixtures | Super Rugby Betting | Standings |

Griquas Saturday held onto the lead in the Currie Cup with what is likely to be among the biggest wins of the season, when the Kimberley-based team hammered Boland 80-7.

From the kick-off, the visiting team tried to make their intentions clear as they moved their way into Griquas territory thanks to several errors by the home team.

Boland appeared quicker at the breakdowns and this seemed to give them the advantage, but it would prove to be the home side who opened the scoring in the corner via Jonathan Mokuena in the fourth minute.

Flyhalf Naas Olivier had a less than ideal start as he pulled the conversion wide of the uprights.

The number 10 had an opportunity to make amends two minutes later with a long range penalty from the middle of the field and was unfortunate to see it strike the upright.

Griquas were clearly starting to find their feet in the match and camped in Boland’s 22 for much of the first quarter. Though they did have several opportunities to have a go at the posts, it was clear that a bonus point was what they had in mind as they sent all their penalties into touch.

This led to the team’s second try, in the 18 th minute when flank Rohan Kitshoff muscled his way past two defenders to add an extra five points. Olivier added the extra two as Griquas now sat with a twelve point lead and roughly an hour of play remaining.

Barry Geel then got his name on the board nine minutes later with a clever run which ended in the team’s third try in space 30 minutes. Griquas then secured the bonus point before half-time with Geel going over for a second try which Olivier again obliged with a conversion taking the score to a whopping 26-0.

The home team continued to dominate in every aspect of the game and claimed their fifth try via Albertus Buckle minutes before the changeover.

Olivier was on the mark again to leave the score at 33-0. Griquas continued to punish Boland in the second half, especially after the visitors were reduced to 14 men in the fourth minute when flank Angelo Brinkhuys was sin binned.

This lead to a penalty which saw GW lock, Jacques Lombaard over for the team’s sixth try. Two minutes later, Dewald Pretorius took the score to 47-0 with a well gathered chip ahead.

Olivier turned his personal tally to 19 when he crossed for his first and Griqua’s eighth try as Boland started appearing to be missing a good match.

The absence of Brinkhuys was becoming expensive with four tries scored in his absence.

The last of these came via Bjorn Basson to take the score to 59-0. It was then centre Wilmaure Louw’s chance with twelve minutes remaining as Griquas seemed to be looking at a record breaking performance. Basson rubbed more salt in Boland’s wounds with his second try under the posts giving Olivier another elementary conversion.

With a 73-0 lead and hardly any time left, even playing for pride hardly seemed an option for Boland as they simply failed to have any constructive time in Griqua territory.

The final nail in the coffin came in the form of Kitshoff’s second converted try. Boland managed to at least get on the board in the last minute with a converted try by hooker Conrad Burke.

However, it was too little too late as Griquas claimed a massive 80-7 win.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.