Site icon Super Rugby Pacific | Super Rugby Championship news, results and fixtures from Super XV rugby

Hurricanes blow away feeble Reds

WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND - JUNE 11: Ruben Love of the Hurricanes celebrates after scoring a try during the round five Super Rugby Trans-Tasman match between the Hurricanes and the Queensland Reds at Sky Stadium on June 11, 2021 in Wellington, New Zealand. (Photo by Masanori Udagawa/Getty Images)

The Hurricanes beat the Queensland Reds 43-14 in the final round of Super Rugby Trans-Tasman at Sky Stadium, Wellington.

The Hurricanes scored six tries as they romped to a comfortable bonus-point victory against the defending Super Rugby AU champion Queensland Reds at the Cake Tin.

Another one-sided win means the Hurricanes have only lost once in 27 home games against teams from outside New Zealand and increases their winning streak to six versus the Reds.

Dane Coles bagged another brace as the Canes ended their season on a high.

- 2022 Super Rugby Pacific fixtures
- Latest Rugby betting odds
- Follow us on Facebook / Twitter

Ngani Laumape, Ruben Love, and Devan Flanders also crossed for the hosts, who were also awarded a soft penalty try.

Tate McDermott and Brandon Paenga-Amosa dotted down for the Aussies, who ended the tournament with one win from five games.

The win puts the Hurricanes on top of the Super Rugby Trans-Tasman log, but all the New Zealand sides still have to play, and it is likely the Canes’ season is done for 2021.

The Hurricanes took a slender 10-7 lead into the shed despite the Queensland Reds dominating the first half

Brad Thorn’s men had all the ball and all the territory, but they trailed by three at halftime after Barrett’s 35th-minute penalty.

The Brisbane side had 69% possession and 71% territory, yet the Super Rugby AU champions could not make their superiority count.

The Hurricanes took an early 7-0 lead after Laumape scored from a first-phase move off the back of an attacking lineout inside the Reds‘ 22.

Barrett converted, it was to be the last time the hosts crossed until the second half.

Laumape almost had a second try on 14 minutes, but he lost the ball in the act of grounding after a sublime Filipo Daugunu cover tackle.

Queensland, despite the early setback, found its rhythm and began to take charge.

Tyrel Lomax was sent to the bin on 26 minutes for a dangerous tackle. The Australians made their numerical advantage count straight away.

From an attacking scrum under the Hurricanes’ posts, McDermott broke from the base of the set-piece, slipped a couple of tackles, and scored under the sticks. Bryce Hegarty levelled.

Barrett put the Kiwis ahead, five minutes before the break.

The Reds implode after the interval as Hurricanes blow the visitors away

Daugunu got a bizarre yellow card, four minutes after the restart, and the Hurricanes struck from the following penalty.

From the scrum, the Canes went blind. Love slipped Isaac Henry’s weak tackle to extend his side’s lead.

Barrett converted. But the Reds hit back immediately when Paenga-Amosa crashed over from close range.

Hegarty’s conversion made it 17-14 on 50 minutes.

A poor kick from the Reds led to Barrett breaking several tackles before being brought down near the try line.

The ball got recycled quickly to Coles, on the sideline, and the hooker dived in the corner for the score.

With 15 minutes remaining, another bizarre call from the officials saw Hegarty yellow-carded for a deliberate knock-back.

The referee awarded a penalty try, and that was the game.

Six minutes later, the Canes finished the Reds off when Flanders scored to earn his team the much-needed bonus point with a try on 71 minutes.

With four minutes to play, Coles flopped over for his second try after a powerful driving maul, which brought up the forty-burger.

Final Score: Hurricanes 43 (10) Reds 14 (7)


Tries – Laumape, Love, Coles (2), Penalty try, Flanders
Pen – Barrett
Con – Barrett (4)
Drop –
Cards – Lomax (Yellow, 26′)

Tries – McDermott, Paenga-Amosa
Pen –
Con – Hegarty (2)
Drop –
Cards – Daugunu (Yellow, 44′), Hegarty (Yellow, 65′)

Match Officials
Referee: James Doleman
Assistant Ref 1: Angus Mabey
Assistant Ref 2: Dan Waenga
TMO: Aaron Paterson



15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Julian Savea, 13 Billy Proctor, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Wes Goosen, 10 Ruben Love, 9 Cam Roigard, 8 Ardie Savea (captain), 7 Du’Plessis Kirifi, 6 Reed Prinsep, 5 Scott Scrafton, 4 James Blackwell, 3 Tyrel Lomax, 2 Asafo Aumua, 1 Xavier Numia

16 Dane Coles, 17 Pouri Rakete-Stones, 18 Ben May, 19 Liam Mitchell, 20 Devan Flanders, 21 Luke Campbell, 22 Danny Toala, 23 Salesi Rayasi

Queensland Reds

15 Mac Grealy, 14 Josh Flook, 13 Hunter Paisami, 12 Isaac Henry, 11 Filipo Daugunu, 10 Bryce Hegarty, 9 Tate McDermott, 8 Harry Wilson, 7 Liam Wright (captain), 6 Angus Scott-Young, 5 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, 4 Angus Blyth, 3 Taniela Tupou, 2 Brandon Paenga-Amosa, 1 Feao Fotuaika

16 Richie Asiata, 17 Harry Hoopert, 18 Zane Nonggorr, 19 Ryan Smith, 20 Fraser McReight, 21 Kalani Thomas, 22 Hudson Creighton, 23 Moses Sorovi

Exit mobile version