Argentina travels to New Zealand for round three of the 2022 Rugby Championship looking for a historic first-ever Test victory in the Land of the Long White Cloud.
Los Pumas’ only win versus the All Blacks came in the 2020 Tri-Nations in Newcastle, Australia, where the South Americans triumphed 25-15.
- New Zealand has won 31 of their 33 Tests against Argentina (D1 L1), with their only loss to the Pumas coming in Round 3 of the 2020 Tri-Nations.
- The All Blacks have won all three meetings with Argentina since, and kept the Pumas scoreless twice in that span (38-0 and 39-0).
- The South Americans have scored 20+points in their last three visits after not reaching that mark in any of their previous 12 Tests.
- The Kiwis lost their last two home Tests by more than 10 points to Ireland; they have never lost three consecutive games in New Zealand – the last time they went three games at home without a win was in 1949/50 (D1 L2).
- Los Pumas have won four of their last seven Tests after having lost each of their seven Tests prior; they’ll be looking to log successive wins for the first time since November 2020 after defeating Australia 48-17 in the second round of The Rugby Championship 2022.
- The All Blacks have named the same starting XV for the first time in 50 Tests, last naming the same side twice in the 2nd and 3rd Tests against France in 2018.
- New Zealand (3.7) and Argentina (3.3) have scored the most and second-most points per attacking 22m entry in the Rugby Championship.
Players to watch:
- Aaron Smith will start his 100th All Blacks Test match, he has only made eight appearances off the bench.
- Will Jordan has scored 10 tries in six Tests on home soil.
- Rieko Ioane (10) and David Havili (7) have made more tackle breaks than any other players in the Rugby Championship, with Caleb Clarke (6) making the joint-third most.
- Emiliano Boffelli has scored 53 points in his last three Tests, scoring two tries, 11 conversions, and seven penalties.
- Boffelli has scored a try in four of his last six Tests against New Zealand.
- Marcos Kremer will reach 50 caps for Los Pumas, he is the 41st Argentinian to do so.
We are waiting for the kick-off.
PEEEP! We are underway in Christchurch.
3.00: MISS! Richie Mo’unga pulls his kick wide. 0-0
6.00: Argentina have started brightly, they move from their goal line into the Kiwis’ half.
8.00: PENALTY! Emiliano Boffelli opens the scoring. 0-3
10.00: Mo’unga kicks to the corner.
11.00: TRY! Samisoni Taukei’aho crashes over from a powerful driving maul by the All Blacks forwards. 5-3
13.00: MISS! Mo’unga shaves the post, but the kick is no good. 5-3
15.00: A big scrum by the Kiwis sees them win a relieving penalty.
17.00: Argentina wins a kickable penalty from a driving maul outside the opposition’s 22.
18.00: PENALTY! Boffelli puts his team back in front. 5-6
20.00: Los Pumas win another turnover, this time at the lineout.
23.00: Richie Mo’unga breaks through the line, but the flyhalf is brought down by some desperate defence.
24.00: Argentina gives away a scrum penalty inside the Kiwis’ half. Mo’unga clears.
27.00: New Zealand beginning to get into their groove.
29.00: PENALTY! Mo’unga finally slots a kick. 8-6
32.00: TRY! It’s another All Blacks stunner! An overthrown Julian Montoya lineout got cleaned up by Taukei’aho, who played Ardie Savea. Savea sent a triple skip-pass to David Havili. Havili linked with Rieko Ioane. Ioane put Jordie Barrett through a hole with a deft pass. Barrett raced down the field and drew Juan Cruz Mallia before sending Caleb Clarke away down the touchline. Sensational score! 13-6
34.00: CONVERSION! Mo’unga slots the touchline conversion. 15-6
36.00: PENALTY! Boffelli splits the uprights from the halfway line. 15-9
38.00: A couple of penalties from pressure in the lineout allows Boffelli another shot at goal before halftime.
41.00: PENALTY! Boffelli reduces the gap to three points. 15-12
The halftime score was All Blacks 15 Los Pumas 12
41.00: PEEEP! We are back underway in Canterbury, New Zealand.
43.00: Los Pumas have begun the second stanza with fire and fury, they just need to find the final pass.
45.00: MISS! Jordie Barrett’s long-range goal drops under the crossbar. 15-12
46.00: PENALTY! Mo’unga knocks over the goal. 18-12
47.00: TRY! Juan Martin Gonzalez takes the restart after Scott Barrett’s mistake and beats three defenders to the try line. Boffelli’s hand won the ball for Gonzalez, who turned and sped away from George Bower, Aaron Smith and Caleb Clarke for his fifth Test try. 18-17
49.00: CONVERSION! The kick is good. 18-19
52.00: A powerful scrum wins New Zealand a penalty, which they kick to the corner.
53.00: Unbelievable! Los Pumas are awarded an obstruction penalty from a New Zealand maul.
56.00: Mo’unga wins the high ball, but Julian Montoya wins the penalty after Sam Whitelock could not move the hooker off the ball.
57.00: PENALTY! Boffelli slots another goal. 18-22
60.00: It’s all Los Pumas at the moment.
64.00: Cane is talked to by the ref for a dropped shoulder, he escapes without a card but Boffelli will take another shot at goal.
66.00: PENALTY! The kick is good. 18-25
69.00: The Pumas win a turnover penalty near their try line. Wow!
71.00: YELLOW CARD! Shannon Frizell goes to the bin. 18-25
75.00: Argentina cannot get out of their half.
78.00: an 18-phase attack ends with a penalty to New Zealand for a high tackle on Jordan.
79.00: Oh dear, Codie Taylor’s lineout throw is skew. Scrum Pumas with 90 seconds to play.
81.00: THEY DID IT, LOS PUMAS BEAT THE ALL BLACKS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN NEW ZEALAND. WHAT A RESULT! IT’S JUST A SECOND WIN FOR THE SOUTH AMERICANS, THEIR FIRST IN NZ.
The final score is New Zealand 18 (15) Argentina 25 (12)
Tries – Taukei’aho, Clarke
Pen – Mo’unga (2)
Con – Mo’unga
Cards – Frizell (Yellow’ 71′)
Tries – Gonzalez
Pen – Boffelli (6)
Con – Boffelli
Referee: Nika Amashukeli [Georgia]
Assistant Ref: Nic Berry [Australia]
Assistant Ref: Jordan Way [Australia]
TMO: Brian McNeice [Ireland]
15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Will Jordan, 13 Rieko Ioane, 12 David Havili, 11 Caleb Clarke, 10 Richie Mo’unga, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Ardie Savea, 7 Sam Cane (captain), 6 Shannon Frizell, 5 Scott Barrett, 4 Sam Whitelock, 3 Tyrel Lomax, 2 Samisoni Taukei’aho, 1 Ethan de Groot
Replacements: 16 Codie Taylor, 17 George Bower, 18 Fletcher Newell, 19 Tupou Vaa’i, 20 Akira Ioane, 21 Finlay Christie, 22 Stephen Perofeta, 23 Quinn Tupaea
Argentina: 15 Juan Cruz Mallia, 14 Emiliano Boffelli, 13 Matias Moroni, 12 Matias Orlando, 11 Lucio Cinti, 10 Santiago Carreras, 9 Gonzalo Bertranou, 8 Pablo Matera, 7 Marcos Kremer, 6 Juan Martin Gonzalez, 5 Tomas Lavanini, 4 Matias Alemanno, 3 Joel Sclavi, 2 Julian Montoya (captain), 1 Thomas Gallo
Replacements: 16 Santiago Socino, 17 Mayco Vivas, 18 Eduardo Bello, 19 Guido Petti, 20 Santiago Grondona, 21 Tomas Cubelli, 22 Tomas Albornoz, 23 Santiago Cordero