Reds get their first win at the Force’s expense



Super rugby AU : Standings | Fixtures | Super Rugby Aotearoa: Standings | Fixtures |


Queensland Reds rallied from a 15-point deficit and kept Western Force scoreless in the second half Saturday to claim their first win of the Super 14 rugby championship.

Queensland scored first via flyhalf Elton Flatley’s penalty goal in the third minute but the Force replied with Scott Staniforth’s try against the run of play and led 18-3 just before halftime.

The Force, one of two expansion clubs in the competition, scored 13 points while Reds lock James Horwill was in the sin-bin for a reckless high tackle midway through the first half.

Cameron Shepherd kicked the resulting penalty and flanker David Pusey crossed out wide at the end of an overlap.

Shepherd landed a touchline conversion and added a 40-meter penalty goal to make the score 18-3 on the half hour.

But the Perth-based Forced rarely threatened the Reds tryline for the remainder of what was generally a scrappy, unattractive Australian derby.

Reds No. 8 John Roe dummied from the base of a five-meter scrum and strolled over underneath the posts just before half time and Flatley converted to get the Reds back into contention at 18-10.

Julian Huxley landed penalties in the 60th and 71st minutes to give the Reds a 19-18 lead.

His second goal gave the Reds the lead for the first time in 65 minutes after Shepherd deliberately knocked-on inside his own quarter to stop a Reds attacking raid.

Prop Greg Moore burrowed over amid a rolling maul that followed a lineout close to the Force line in the 74th minute and hooker Stephen Moore reached over from close range just before fulltime.

Roe was relieved the Reds got on top of a forward-oriented match against the competition rookies, who remain winless and without a point after five rounds.

“We’re very, very happy when we think back to the first half,” said Roe. “It was a bit ugly, but I’m very proud of the team the way they came back.” Force hooker Brendan Cannon said his lineup struggled in the high-pressure moments.

“Each week we’re doing a lot of positives but we’re not able to close the deal.” he said. “Tonight was quite inexcusable after the lead we had.

“It was a very disappointing night for the force – we need to show a bit more character than that.”


Queensland Reds 29 (Joe Roe, Greg Holmes, Stephen Moore tries; Elton Flatley 2 penalties, 1 conversion, Julian Huxley 2 penalties),

Western Force 18 (Scott Staniforth, David Pusey tries; Cameron Shepherd 2 penalties, 1 conversion).

Source : Sapa-AP /jm

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.