Reds too good for tired Force



Super rugby Aotearoa : Home | SR Aotearoa Fixtures | Super rugby AU : Home | SR AU Fixtures |


The Force’s chances of reaching the play offs suffered a big blow on Friday when the Reds eased to victory over a lacklustre Force team beating them by 29 points to 12.

The Reds defence was key to the victory as they scored three tries and let in none. As the final whistle blew the Reds were camped on the Force’s try line driving for the fourth try and bonus point.

The Force have now played 10 matches – won five and lost five. They have the bye next week with the Bulls.

The stats showed 24 missed tackles by the Force.

Morgan Turinui and Andrew Walker scored second-half tries in the match.

The Reds, who led 13-12 at halftime, scored the only try of the first half in the first minute.

Referee Stu Dickinson awarded the try to No. 8 Leroy Houston after the television match official had several looks at a replay from a driving maul.

Clinton Schifcofske converted from near the sideline to begin a run of seven successful place kicks before he missed a penalty just before halftime.

The Force’s Cameron Shepherd and Schifcofske traded three penalties for the score to be 10-6 midway through the half when the Reds goalkicker was yellow-carded for a ruck infringement. While he was off both sides scored a penalty goal each.

The Reds held the Force scoreless in the second half to improve their record to three wins and a draw in nine matches, while the Force are 5-5 on the season.

It was the Reds’ first win over an Australian opponent in two years.


Reds coach Phil Mooney said his side was confident going into the second half.

“We went into halftime feeling they couldn’t score a try with the mountain of possession they had and that boosted our confidence,” Mooney said.

“I don’t think we’ve been given the respect we deserve.” Western Force captain Nathan Sharpe said his team played its worst match of the season.

“It was a terrible performance by our boys but we have to give credit to the Reds. They contested the breakdown much harder,” he said.

“There was no excuse. We just didn’t turn up mentally.”

Final score Reds 29 Force 12





Tries – Leroy Houston, Morgan Turinui, Andrew Walker
Pen – Clinton Schifcofske (3), Berrick Barnes
Con – Clinton Schifcofske
Cards – Clinton Schifcofske (yellow)



Tries –
Pen – Cameron Shepherd (4)
Con –

Cards – David Pocock (yellow)


Venue: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Referee: Stuart Dickinson (Australia)
Touch judges: Julian Pritchard (Australia), Simon Moore (Australia)
Television match official: George Ayoub (Australia)
Assessor: Wayne Erickson (Australia) 





15-1 Clinton Schifcofske, Brando Va’aulu, Morgan Turinui, Berrick Barnes, Peter Hynes, Quade Cooper, Ben Lucas, Leroy Houston, David Croft, John Roe, James Horwill (c), Van Humphries, Dayna Edwards, Stephen Moore, Ben Coutts.

Reserves: Sean Hardman, Rodney Blake, Ed O’Donoghue, Poutasi Luafutu, Will Genia, Andrew Walker, Charlie Fetoai.


1. Pek Cowan,2. Tai McIsaac,. Troy Takiari,4. Tom Hockings,5. Nathan Sharpe (c),6. Scott Fava,7. David Pocock,8. Richard Brown,9. Chris O’Young,10. Lachlan MacKay,11. Drew Mitchell,12. Scott Staniforth (vc),13. Ryan Cross,14. Haig Sare,15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves: 16. Luke Holmes,17. AJ Whalley,18. Sam Wykes,19. Tamaiti Horua,20. James Stannard,21. James O’Connor,22. Nick Cummins.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.