Relief for the HSBC Waratahs after win over Reds



Super rugby Aotearoa : Home | SR Aotearoa Fixtures | Super rugby AU : Home | SR AU Fixtures |


The HSBC Waratahs have broken their drought with a 26 points to 13 victory over the Queensland Reds at Aussie Stadium, the win their first since week one of the 2007 Super 14 competition.

In a match that never scaled to any great heights the Waratahs were at least the more composed of the two sides, scoring two tries to the Reds one to retain the Bob Templeton Cup for a third successive year.

However the win came at a cost, with scrumhalf Josh Valentine ‘ who claimed man of the match honours ‘ in doubt for next week after suffering medial ligament damage in his right knee.

A string of penalty goals opened the match, with three to Peter Hewat and two to Clinton Schifcofske ‘ who would eventually score all the Reds points ‘ seeing the score sit at 9-6 in favour of the Waratahs after half an hour.

But there wasn’t much for the 21,872 home town fans to celebrate until just before half time, when Valentine exploited a Reds lapse on the short side to score the opening try of the match.

Getting the ball 15 metres out, Valentine scooted and beat the cover defence to score in the corner.

Referee Kelvin Deaker went upstairs for TMO Bradley Wahl, who ruled the try, which was converted by Hewat for a 16-6 half time lead.

It was only the third time the Waratahs had led into half time this season and after starting the second half with another Hewat penalty they looked to ram home the advantage.

However when Berrick Barnes chipped ahead for a flying Schifcofske, who scored under the posts almost untouched, the Reds were right back in the contest at 19 points to 16.

There the score stayed until late in the match, both teams seemingly unable to add to their scores despite a number of chances.

In the end the Waratahs would have the final say, replacement scrumhalf Josh Holmes putting Wycliff Palu away down the short side in the 73rd minute of the match.

After a bullocking 25 metre run Palu found Beau Robinson on the inside, the young flanker going over for his debut Super Rugby try.

Hewat’s conversion took the score along to 26 points to 13, which is where it remained until full time.

The win sees the Waratahs move to 14 competition points, seven points clear of the bottom placed Reds on the Super 14 ladder with three matches left to play.

The next assignment for the Waratahs is the eighth placed Highlanders at Aussie Stadium next Saturday night.


Tries: Josh Valentine, Beau Robinson

Conversions: Peter Hewat 2/2

Penalty Goals: Peter Hewat 4/5


Tries: Clinton Schifcofske

Conversions: Clinton Schifcofske 1/1

Penalty Goals: Clinton Schifcofske 2/2

At Aussie Stadium, Sydney

Crowd: 21,872

Half Time: Waratahs 16-6

Man of the Match: Josh Valentine (Waratahs)

Yellow Card: Tama Tuirirangi (Reds)

Referee: Kelvin Deaker (NZ)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.