Currie Cup

Sharks smash Griquas to lead Currie Cup



Super Rugby Quick Links : Home | News | Fixtures | Super Rugby Betting | Standings |

The Sharks thumped the Griquas 41-6 to bump the visitors off top spot on the Currie Cup log in Durban on Saturday.

The hosts, lying third before the start, ran rampant on their home ground to hand the Griquas their second successive loss, and by far the most convincing of the season.

Flyhalf Monty Dumond, who never missed a kick, gave the Sharks the early lead, which they never relinquished, when he slotted a penalty in the seventh minute.

And midway through the half, outside centre Waylon Murray stretched the gap when he intercepted a Griquas pass that bounced. He collected it to run clear and dot down with the first try of the game.

Three minutes later Griquas flyhalf Naas Olivier got them off the mark when he scored a penalty and, after missing a drop kick, he added another with five minutes on the first-half clock to keep them in the game.

But within a minute the Sharks had stretched their lead again when scrum-half Charl McLeod picked up a loose ball and ran in their second try, which Dumond converted to leave them 20-6 ahead at the break.

And it took a little over two minutes into the second half for the Sharks to stamp their authority on the game when Dumond dotted down their third try, and converted it, to apply even more pressure on the Griquas.

In the 68th minute, wing Lwazi Mvuvo stole the ball down the left side and earned the Sharks the bonus point for a fourth try.

With nine minutes to go the Sharks forwards barged over for a fifth with Keegan Daniels dotting down to hammer the final nail in the former log leaders’ coffin.

Final Score Sharks 41 Griquas 6


Tries: Waylon Murray, Charl McLeod, Monty Dumond, Lwazi Mvovo, Keegan Daniels.
Conversions: Dumond (5).
Penalties: Dumond (2).

Penalties: Naas Olivier (2).

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.