Super Rugby

Stormers end Brumbies unbeaten run




The Stormers ended the Brumbies unbeaten run in Super Rugby with a 31-11 after the Brumbies lost a player to a red card for punching.

The Stormers were leading 16-11 in the 63rd minute when Josh Mann-Rea was red carded for throwing punches and connecting with his elbow to the face of Guy Kebble.

The Stormers were then awarded a controversial try which Dillyn Leyds felt he had not scored with the South African referee Jaco Peyper saying that he did not need to have control of the ball.

The Stormers were full of running straight from the kick-off and after six minutes’ play, the home crowd would have sensed that the home side still failed to offer variation on attack as the Brumbies absorbed the early pressure from mostly predictable play.

The Brumbies were forced to settle for defence in the opening 15 minutes and they seemed to complicate matters further by trying to run their way out of trouble from deep positions. They paid the price for not transferring play to the opposition half when opportunities surfaced by conceding two kickable penalties which Stormers flyhalf converted to give the home side a deserved 6-0 lead after 16 minutes’ play.

A poor feature of play up to this stage was the poor kicking for field positions by both teams. Closely coupled to this, the Stormers’ tactical kicking was meaningless and given the glut of possession they enjoyed, they were not able to capitalise.

A 28th-minute line-out close to the Stormers’ 22m line provided the platform for the visiting Australians to make a breakthrough. Midfielder Tevita Kuridrani ran a great line after spotting a yawning gap in the Stormers’ backline. By the time the cover defence closed in on him, he reeled out a long pass to rightwing Henry Speight who darted in at the corner flag for an unconverted try (6-5).

The Stormers threatened briefly but their rolling maul was stopped a metre from the tryline, and after several minutes of whiteline fever another Coleman penalty was their only reward ahead of the halftime break (9-5).

The Brumbies pivot Christian Lealiifano was off target with two first-half penalty attempts which could have given the scoreboard a completely different look.

He did atone somewhat for earlier lapses when he was on target with a close-range penalty five minutes after the restart and the Stormers’ lead was reduced to a mere one point (9-8).

The home crowd of just over 29 000 were finally rewarded with a Stormers try in the 55th minute when they finally made their pressure count after a wave of attacks in which the forwards dovetailed splendidly with the backs. Loosie Siya Kolisi was on hand to supply the finishing touch after crashing over and Coleman the added the extras to open up a 16-8 lead.

Six minutes later Lealiifano kicked another penalty virtually right under the Stormers posts which made for a 5-point game at 16-11.

Two minutes later, the game had a long stoppage as referee Jaco Peyper tried to make sense of foul play which was viewed repeatedly on the big screen above the Pickard Stand. The outcome was a red card for Brumbies reserve hooker Josh Mann-Rea and a Stormers penalty, which Coleman banged through the posts (19-11).

This score was the cue for the crowd to break into a series of Mexican Waves and the Stormers seemed to draw inspiration from ranks by responding with some adventurous play towards the end of the match, leftwing Dillyn Leyds crowned the effort with an acrobatic dive for the side’s second try of the match.

The Brumbies and the TV commentators felt that Lleyds had lost the ball and that no try had been scored but Peyper awarded the try.

Moments ahead of the hooter, substitute prop Vincent Koch barged over for the final try of the match, and substitute pivot Jean-Luc du Plessis goaled to round off the scoreline at 31-11.

Both teams have now played four matches, won three and lost one.

Next week in Round 5 the Brumbies travel to Bloemfontein to play the Cheetahs while the Stomers fly to Argentina to play the Jaguares.

Final Score Stormers 31 (9) Brumbies 11 (5)


Tries – S.Kolisi, D.Lleyds, V.Koch
Pen – K.Coleman 4
Con -K.Coleman, J-L du Plessis
Drop –
Cards –

Tries – H.Speight
Pen – C.Lealiifano 2
Con –
Drop –
Cards – J.Mann-Rea (63rd min red)

Match Officials
Referee: Jaco Peyper
Assistant Ref 1:Jaco van Heerden
Assistant Ref 2:Cwengile Jadezweni
TMO : Marius Jonker



15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Johnny Kotze, 12 Juan de Jongh (co-captain), 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Kurt Coleman, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Siya Kolisi, 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe (co-captain), 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg.

Replacements: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 Oli Kebble, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 JD Schickerling, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Louis Schreuder, 22 Jean-Luc du Plessis, 23 Leolin Zas.


Scott Sio, Stephen Moore (c), Ben Alexander, Rory Arnold, Sam Carter, Scott Fardy, David Pocock, Michael Wells, Tomas Cubelli, Christian Lealiifano (c), Joe Tomane, Matt Toomua, Tevita Kuridrani, Henry Speight, Aidan Toua

Replacements : Josh Mann-Rea, Allan Alaalatoa, Leslie Leulua’iali’i-Makin, Tom Staniforth, Jordan Smiler, Michael Dowsett, Robbie Coleman, Nigel Ah Wong

Recommended for you


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.