The Sunwolves have played the Chiefs three times in Super rugby since 2017, the Sunwolves have won once and lost twice.
The Sunwolves one win out of three matches gives them a record of winning 33% of their games against the Chiefs regardless of venue.
- The Chiefs won the first two of the three previous Super Rugby games between themselves and the Sunwolves; though, the Japanese side prevailed 30-15 in their most recent encounter (Rd 3, 2019).
- The Sunwolves will be on the hunt for back-to-back Super Rugby wins for the first time since May 2018 – and just the second time ever – after opening their campaign with a 36-27 win over the Rebels in Round 1.
- The Chiefs have won their last five regular-season games on the bounce in Super Rugby; the last time they won more was a seven-game stretch in 2016.
- The Sunwolves are the only team remaining (14/14 – 100%) yet to lose a lineout from their throw this Super Rugby season, while the Chiefs have lost the joint-most such lineouts of any side (6 – also Lions and Hurricanes).
- Lachlan Boshier (Chiefs) has won the most turnovers (9) of any player this Super Rugby season, four more than the next best (Tom Christie – 5).
We are waiting for the kick-off.
1.00: PEEEP! WE ARE underway in Japan
7.00: TRY! Garth April opens the scoring for the Sunwolves. 5-0
8.00: Conversion! April Converts his try. 7-0
11.00: TRY! Solomon Alaimalo dots down for the Chiefs. 7-5
12.00: MISS! The conversion is wide. 7-5
15.00: TRY! Shaun Stevenson slots the kick. 7-10
16.00: CONVERSION! Damian McKenzie. 7-12
24.00: TRY! Brad Weber scores for the Chiefs. 7-17
27.00: TRY! Damian McKenzie scores for the KIWIS. 7-22
28.00: CONVERSION! Damian McKenzie adds the extras. 7-24
40.00: YELLOW CARD! Tyler Ardron is sent to the bin.
41.00: TRY! Jaba Bregvadze dots down for the Japanese. 12-24
The halftime score was Sunwolves 12 Chiefs 24
41.00: PEEEEP! we are back underway in Japan.
43.00: TRY! Lachlan Boshier scores for the Kiwis. 12-29
44.00: CONVERSION! McKenzie adds the extras 12-31
74.00: TRY! Shogo Nakano scores for the hosts. 17-31
75.00: MISS! The kick is wide. 17-31
78.00: TRY! Quinn Tupaea scores for the visitors. 17-36
78.00: CONVERSION! Kaleb Trask adds the two. 17-38
80.00: TRY! Kaleb Trask dots down for the visitors. 17-43
81.00: MISS! The kick is wide. 17-43
The final score is Sunwolves 17 (12) Chiefs 43 (24)
Tries – April, Bregvadze, Nakano
Con – April
Tries – Alaimalo, Stevenson, Weber, D. McKenzie, Boshier, Tupaea, Trask
Con – D. McKenzie (3), Trask
Cards – Yellow (Ardron, 40′)
Referee: Angus Gardner
Assistant Ref 1: Shuhei Kubo
Assistant Ref 2: Tasuku Kawahara
TMO: Minoru Fuji
Head Coach: Naoya Okubo
15 James Dargaville, 14 Siosaia Fifita, 13 Keisuke Moriya (captain), 12 Ben Te’o, 11 Tautalatasi Tasi, 10 Garth April, 9 Naoto Saito, 8 Jake Schatz, 7 Shunsuke Nunomaki, 6 Mitch Jacobson, 5 Michael Stolberg, 4 Kotaro Yatabe, 3 Conraad Van Vuuren, 2 Jaba Bregvadze, 1 Jarred Adams.
Replacements: 16 Effie Ma’afu, 17 Chris Eves, 18 Hencus Van Wyk, 19 Justin Downey, 20 Tevita Tupou, 21 Takahiro Kimura, 22 Shogo Nakano, 23 Johannes Engelbrecht.
Head Coach: Warren Gatland
15 Damian McKenzie, 14 Shaun Stevenson, 13 Quinn Tupaea, 12 Alex Nankivell, 11 Solomon Alaimalo, 10 Kaleb Trask, 9 Brad Weber (captain), 8 Dylan Nel, 7 Lachlan Boshier, 6 Adam Thomson, 5 Michael Allardice, 4 Tyler Ardron, 3 Atu Moli, 2 Bradley Slater, 1 Aidan Ross.
Replacements: 16 Samisoni Taukei’aho, 17 Ross Geldenhuys, 18 Reuben O’Neill, 19 Naitoa Ah Kuoi, 20 Mitchell Brown, 21 Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, 22 Tiaan Falcon, 23 Orbyn Leger.