Rugby Championship News

Wallaby early arrivals sternly warned

By

on

Super Rugby Quick Links : Home | News | Fixtures | Super Rugby Betting | Standings |

An advance party of Wallabies travelling to Cape Town for next week’s Tri-Nations opener with South Africa have been warned to be on their best behaviour.

The warning follows previous controversies involving Australian rugby tourists in the city, including one player who was sent home.

Six Wallabies will miss the Test with Fiji in Perth on Saturday as they travel to Cape Town to prepare for the June 16 Tri-Nations opener against South Africa at Newlands.

Rocky Elsom, Mark Gerrard, Matt Giteau, Wycliff Palu, Nathan Sharpe and Guy Shepherdson will be accompanied by three team officials. The rest of the Wallabies travel on Sunday.

The Wallabies were recently warned by team management that they will not accept any form of bad behaviour on tour, especially in a city where players had been involved in numerous unsavoury incidents, reports said.

One Wallabies team management member told Friday’s Sydney Morning Herald: “They know the circumstances if they step out of line.”

The squad’s last trip to Cape Town in 2005 was a nightmare, capped off by scrum-half Matt Henjak becoming the first Wallaby sent home from a tour in 39 years.

This followed a nightclub incident in which Henjak reportedly threw the contents of a glass at other patrons.

Wallabies Lote Tuqiri and Wendell Sailor were each fined and received two-match bans, suspended for two years, for staying out too late at a nightclub.

Prop forward Matt Dunning, who also went out but returned to the team hotel earlier, was fined the same amount.

Two days later the Wallabies lost the Nelson Mandela Challenge Plate against the Springboks in Johannesburg.

Sapa-AFP

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.