Waratahs Cut Down to Size in Canberra


Super Rugby Quick Links : Home | News | Fixtures | Super Rugby Betting | Standings |

The HSBC Waratahs have lost to the Brumbies for the first time in three seasons of Super Rugby, going down 36-10 in the NSW derby at Canberra Stadium.

The Brumbies scored five tries to one, their backs given the platform to attack off what was an outstanding effort both in defence and with the boot.

The Waratahs were unable to break the line in the first forty minutes and despite opening the second half with a try, were unable to stem the flow of tries by the home side.

In the finish the Waratahs were brought undone by the Brumbies old firm of Gregan, Larkham and Paul, with Larkham scoring his side’s last two tries to join Mark Gerrard as double try scorers for the evening.

The match started badly for the visitors with Larkham and Gerrard combining for a try in just the third minute of play.

Larkham made the most of a gap in the defence to find space, throwing a long ball to an unmarked Gerrard who scored without a hand laid upon him.

Peter Hewat got the Waratahs on the board soon after with a penalty goal from 30 metres, however the Brumbies were able to keep their opponent on the back foot with Larkham and fullback Julian Huxley achieving excellent distance with kicks in general play.

In the end the pressure told, with TMO Geoff Acton awarding the Brumbies their second try on 24 minutes scored by flanker Jone Tawake.

With 57 percent of possession going against them in the first half, the Waratahs tried to turn it on in attack only to be met by an ever more determined Brumbies defensive line.

The Brumbies would exacerbate the Waratahs woes just before half time when Gerrard scored his second, Larkham and Huxley putting on the try for the winger with a break down the short side, Gerrard finishing in style.

After the break there was more positive signs for the Waratahs, David Lyons laying on a try for Rocky Elsom, which was converted from the sideline by Hewat.

However the Brumbies would again assert their authority, Larkham touching down in the 60th and 73rd minutes to take the final score along to 36 points to 10 in favour of the home side.

The Waratahs return home Sunday night and have just three training days to get themselves up for Saturday’s Australian derby against the Reds at Aussie Stadium.


Tries: Rocky Elsom

Conversions: Peter Hewat 1/1

Penalty Goals: Peter Hewat 1/2


Tries: Mark Gerrard 2, Stephen Larkham 2, Jone Tawake

Conversions: Julian Huxley 2/3; Mark Gerrard 2/2

Penalty Goals: Julian Huxley 1/3

At Canberra Stadium

Crowd: 23,000

Referee: Matt Goddard

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.