Waratahs keep Highlanders tryless



Super rugby Aotearoa : Home | SR Aotearoa Fixtures | Super rugby AU : Home | SR AU Fixtures |


The Waratahs beat the Highlanders comfortably at the House of Pain on friday amid bad weather conditions.

Both teams got off to slow starts and it wasn’t until the 27th minute until the first points were scored. As the rain poured down Waratahs Peter Hewat slotted the first penalty of the night giving the Tahs the lead.

Ben Blair immediately got a penalty back and the scores were level. Although the scores were level it was the Highlanders who had done all the work and the only time the Waratahs had been down in the Highlanders 25 they had come away with points.

Just before half time Hewat kicked the ball down field and the chase was on. Tom Donnelly was the only Highlander player there and as he fumbled the ball Turinui pounced on the ball to score the first try of the night.

Hewat converted and the team went into half time with the scores at Highlanders 3 Waratahs 13.

Sam Norton-Knight got the Waratahs off to a dream start with a try in the half opening minutes giving the Waratahs a comfortable lead at 3-20 with the conversion from Hewat.

The Highlanders did get over the line 10 minutes into the half but the ball was judged to have been lost forward. Hewat nearly scored a try but dropped the slippery ball as he was putting it down.

The Highlanders put the Waratahs under some huge pressure in the second half and tested the Waratahs defence. Time and time again the Highlanders pressed but the Waratahs showed why so many teams have scored so few tries against them.

The Waratahs pick up the four points but will however be disapointed to have missed the opportunity to get the four try bonus point they they need to secure a home semi final.


Highlanders – Penalties – Blair

Waratahs – Tries – Turinui, Norton-Knight – Conversions – Hewat 2, – Penalties -Hewat 2

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.