Waratahs win seals third place



Super rugby Aotearoa : Home | SR Aotearoa Fixtures | Super rugby AU : Home | SR AU Fixtures |


The Waratahs took third place on the points table beating the Force in Perth on Saturday by 12 points to 17. The Waratahs scored two tries and the Force relied on the boot of Cameron Shepherd.

The Waratahs led for most of the match but by no means had it easy as the Force pressed hard for a winning try well into injury time. The enormous pressure applied by the Force led to the Waratahs having a player sent off in injury time.

With the Waratahs trailing 12-10 and seven minutes left, Waratah Lote Tuqiri’s chip kick rebounded off the Force’s Cameron Shepherd’s boot and into the arms of Turner, who scrambled over for the try that gave the Waratahs the win.

After a desperate last-minute push by the Force where the Force came within a metre of the tryline, Turner intercepted the ball under his own posts to seal the win and maintain the Waratahs’ unbeaten record against the Force.

Force and Wallaby flyhalf Matt Giteau was taken off the field on a stretcher in a neck brace after being knocked unconscious while trying to tackle Waratahs fullback Sam Norton-Knight in the 20th minute.

But Giteau emerged from the dressing room at halftime and was able to walk around the field without assistance.

In the first half, the Force dominated possession but trailed 10-9 after Waratahs’ rookie center Rob Horne scored his first try.


Shepherd, taking over Giteau’s place kicking duties, kicked two late goals penalties to bring the deficit back to one point and added another penalty in the second half.

Force captain Nathan Sharpe said it was another night of missed opportunities for his side.

“I though we were just going to get over the line there at the end, again,” Sharpe said.

“You never say any try is lucky, but (Turner’s) was against the run of play. Shep has chipped it forward and it has gone straight into his breadbasket.

“A disappointing night in terms of the result but we certainly executed the game plan for the majority.”

 Full time score Force 12 Waratahs 17





Tries –

Pen -Matt Giteau, Cameron Shepherd (3)

Con –



Tries – Rob Horne,Lachie Turner

Pen -Kurtley Beale 

Con – Kurtley Beale 

Cards – Alfi Mafi (yellow)


Venue: Subiaco Oval, Perth
Referee: Brett Bowden (Australia)
Assistant Referees : Paul Marks (Australia), James Scholtens (Australia)
TV Match Official : George Ayoub (Australia)
Reviewer/Perf. Auditor : Wayne Erickson (Australia)




1. Pek Cowan,2. Tai McIsaac,3. Troy Takiari,4. Tom Hockings,5. Nathan Sharpe (c),6. Scott Fava,7. David Pocock,8. Richard Brown,9. Chris O’Young,10. Matt Giteau (vc),11. Drew Mitchell,12. Scott Staniforth,13. Ryan Cross,14. Nick Cummins,15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves :16. Luke Holmes,17. AJ Whalley,18. Sam Wykes,19. Matt Hodgson,20. James Stannard,21. Lachlan MacKay,22. Haig Sare.


1. Benn Robinson,2. Tatafu Polota-Nau,3. Matt Dunning ,4. Will Caldwell,5. Dan Vickerman,6. Dean Mumm,7. Phil Waugh [c],8. Wycliff Palu,9. Luke Burgess,10. Kurtley Beale,11. Lote Tuqiri,12. Tom Carter,13. Rob Horne*,14. Lachie Turner,15. Sam Norton-Knight

Reserves:16. Adam Freier,17. Al Baxter ,18. David Lyons,19. Beau Robinson,20. Brett Sheehan,21. Matt Carraro^,22. Alfi Mafi
* Super Rugby starting debut
^ NSW Debut (if used)


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.