Bulls Super Rugby stadium
– Capacity 50 000
Loftus Versfeld Stadium is a sports stadium situated in Pretoria, South Africa. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000 and is an all seater venue. The stadium was named after Mr Robert Owen Loftus Versfeld, the founder of organised sports in Pretoria and a man who dedicated many years of his life to rugby union. It is also the home of two major rugby union teams:
The Blue Bulls, representing Pretoria and Limpopo Province in South Africa’s primary domestic competition, the Currie Cup.
The Bulls, which represent the same region, plus the East Rand, in the Southern Hemisphere Super 14 competition.
Through the years the stadium has undergone various name changes as sponsors came and went, though locals have always referred to the stadium as Loftus Versfeld. From 11 June 1998 to 4 February 2003 the stadium was officially named Minolta Loftus after Minolta had become the stadiums name sponsor. Sponsorship was taken over by security giant Securicor, who announced the name Securicor Loftus on the 5th of February 2003. On the 1st of September 2005 the renaming process went full circle when cellular provider Vodacom, taking over sponsorship from Securicor, renamed the stadium back to the original Loftus Versfeld.
The site of the stadium was first used for sports in 1906, and the field was simply called the Eastern Sports Ground. The first concrete structure was erected there by the City Council in 1923. The original structure could only accommodate 2000 spectators, and did not have proper sports facilities.
In 1928, mostly because of the All Blacks tour to South Africa that year, the Pretoria sub-union made a large profit which they used to erect changing rooms and toilets.
When Mr Loftus Versfeld died suddenly in May 1932 the Pretoria sub-union renamed the Eastern Sports Ground after him as a tribute to a man that had done so much to develop sport in the area. The stadium has been known as Loftus Versfeld Stadium ever since. It has been upgraded on several occasions, most recently in 1984, when the Northern Pavilion received an upgrade.
Source – Wikipedia
Weblink to Blue Bulls – HERE
Brought to you by Superxv.com the leading Super Rugby site.